Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new 4 or 5 Weight

Default Looking for a new 4 or 5 Weight

Hey guys,

So I currently own a loomis pro4x 9'5weight and I don't mind it. It just feels a little slow. I am looking for a new rod and would like something on the higher end scale.

I fish mainly for stream browns and occasionally bass. I am leaning towards a 5 weight but a 4 is not outta the question. I have been thinking sage tcx, one, circa or loomis streamdance, whisper creek or glx. What's everyone's thoughts on 4 vs 5 and what rod to get if money is not an option.

Thanks guys

Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking for a new 4 or 5 Weight

You will get a hundred different opinions on rod choices, but in reality it is like buying a new truck, some folks love Fords, other love GMC, etc. My best advice is to go to a local fly shop and ask to demo cast several different rods, what feels right in your hands may feel terrible in mine. I could tell you that the perfect rod for you would be the Sage XXX or the Orvis XXX but that really doesn't amount to a hill of beans. We each have different casting strokes so the perfect rod for me will most likely won't be the perfect rod for you. Please do yourself a favor before buying and do some hands on casting with the rods you have in mind, todays new rods are expensive, make an informed decision for buying.
    Larry

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chipgerrard View Post
    What's everyone's thoughts on 4 vs 5 and what rod to get if money is not an option.
    You probably mean not a concern?

Blog Entries

I'm with Larry on this one. You need to cast a few rods to see which one is best for you. Each person has his or her own quirks on what they like about a rod. If you are thinking premium rod, look into the usual suspects.

As for line weight category. Be realistic on the payload that you intend to throw.

Dennis

PS: Here's a teaser on what's coming from a major player.

I really like both the Orvis H2 midflex 8 1/2' and the Hardy Zenith 9' 5 weights. The Orvis is a little better closer in and the Hardy is a little better for distance. I also like the Sage ZXL 9' 5 weight, recently discontinued, but there are still some around at clearance prices. I agree with the others who say you have to try them and pick the one that feels best in your own hand. They are all excellent quality.

The Zenith 8 1/2' 4 weight won Yellowstone Angler's recent 4-weight shootout, and I am eager to compare that to the equivalent H2 and ZXL as well. Haven't cast any of them yet myself so I can't recommend them yet, though.

On whether to get a 4 or 5, I would suggest basing your decision on what you already have and what another rod will let you do that you can't do now. If you've already got a rod you like in one weight, get a new one in the other. If you're looking for a rod that will become your favorite all-rounder, I'd recommend a 5 over a 4.

Blog Entries

That Sage One Elite looks good. I didn't realize it came with a titanium winding check and a black hook keeper.

Features:
    All-water rod
    Fast action
    Konnetic technology construction
    Black Ice shaft color
    Black primary thread wraps with Gray titanium trim wraps
    Elite, flor grade, snub-nose, half-wells cork handle
    Titanium reel seat with laser-etched logoed end cap
    Titanium winding check
    Titanium stripper guides with ceramic insert
    Black hook keeper
    Extra (spare) tip section

Quite a range you're considering... I'd take the above advice and cast em all. The Circa will be almost polar opposite from a TCX, just depends on what you want to throw. As long as you're casting rods, I'd find a 5 wt z axis, it's a great all around rod that has a pretty fast action, can deliver bigger payloads but is nice and sensitive, also cost you less than a One
    "The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" - Lee Wulff

Second the suggestion to seek a 5wt Z Axis. I have one and it is indeed very versatile.

MP - Lovely Scott! Care to share any other details ?

9. Talking Re: Looking for a new 4 or 5 Weight

Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
    I'm with Larry on this one. You need to cast a few rods to see which one is best for you. Each person has his or her own quirks on what they like about a rod. If you are thinking premium rod, look into the usual suspects.

As for line weight category. Be realistic on the payload that you intend to throw.

Dennis

PS: Here's a teaser on what's coming from a major player.

NICE!!!
    Looks like my wife will be getting a slightly used Scott S4 905 soon

Blog Entries

The new Radian is a fast action rod that is replacing the S4. I have not touched one yet. I grabbed the pictures off the local shop's Facebook page. It is supposed to be lighter and smoother than the S4. I do not know if Scott is using a Nano-ish type concentration. Some key Scott Pro Staff members have their rods now. Radians will be distributed this summer to shops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast