Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 wt advice

Default 3 wt advice

I'm considering a 3 wt for closed in mountain streams in KY/Smokey Mtns./ etc. I'd like a 6'6" of 7'6". I'n having trouble deciding on brand though. I've considered Orvis Access, Allen X2, and maybe a St. Criox Imperial in a 7'. Anyone out there (especially those in the Appalacian mountains) have any advise for a good brand?

Thanks,
    Jordan

Blog Entries

Default Re: 3 wt advice

Jordan: Sounds like you are on the right track for fishing those mountain streams, any chance you can get to a location where you can cast the rods you are looking at? I may be wrong but I seem to remember that Justin (at Allen) had a program where you could try a rod out (leave the plastic cover on the cork), cast it some, then if you don't like it you could return it.

Larry
    Larry

Love my Winston 6'6" WT 3wt sweet rod
    R Reese

I have an Orvis Clearwater 7'6" 3wt that I LOVE. I really like to pick up the Orvis Superfine full flex when it comes to light weigh rods. I am eyeing the 1wt for the small creeks in the high sierras near me.

I have used the 7' St Croix 3wt in the smokies and its just a fantastic rod for the area. Even thru all the fancy high end rods I now own, its still one of my absolute favorites.
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

+1 on Larry's advice to try one out if at all possible.

+1 on Tex's comment on the Orvis 7'6" Super Fine 3wt.

I got an Orvis 7'6" SF 3wt coupled with a CFO III Orvis reel for Christmas last year and fished it this summer in high mountain CO lakes and even down on a narrow stretch of the Eagle River. Worked great everywhere. It is a full flex rod and lays out the dry fly very quietly onto the water. I strung it up with a dry fly furled leader from Cutthroat Leaders which simply added to the presentation.

As the smartest man in the world says, my 2 cents are worth $37.96.

I know that all of the folks at Orvis encourage you to cast their rods before deciding. Stop by a store and see if you can get one strung up to at least try on the parking lot.

Good luck,
    Roger
    "Nostalgia is not what it used to be."

Another vote for the Orvis 7'6" Superfine. It's just a great rod. I used my 5 wt Far & Fine today for the first time in months and it felt really heavy after almost daily use of the 3 weight.

8. Default Re: 3 wt advice

I have a 3wt 7'6" Redington Classic Trout. Great tiny stream rod. My 4wt 8' CT is my go to trout rod. That rod is such a great deal. Proves you don't have to spend a lot to get a lot. I use a Greys Streamlite 2/3 on the 3wt CT. Really like the setup.
    Last edited by 44runner; 08-31-2013 at 12:09 AM.

Don't know about the Orivs SF, I've only ever had the chance to cast a Helios, and I think a Clearwater, but I have casted the St. Croix and it's not bad. Still debating on some of the others.

TFO Finesse got very high marks as well. The Elkhorn UL rods also have a nice following and are inexpensive.

Personally, I have the Superfine Touch in 2wt and think its the best UL rod on the market.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast