Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you use a Wading Staff?

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Default Re: Do you use a Wading Staff?

Quote Originally Posted by busbus View Post
    Thanks, Fred. So the staff sort of floats around in the water about you? Or do you stick it in the rocks by your feet?

Personally, I don't care. I learned my lesson and I will never, ever go out without one again. It just makes me feel so much more stable.
    Sorry BB, missed your post. I keep the handle against my middle. Need to take a step down, just move tip off the bottom and take the step. As to the 'why,' you don't need the staff until you've already gotten your self into 'deep do-do.' Just wait till you fish the 'fly only' section of the North Umpqua here in Oregon. A life experience ..........

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Blog Entries

Never leave home without it! After two back surgeries, both feet with nerve damage, a new hip and six surgeries to fuse an ankle, I can't afford to go down and I don't feel the river bottom that well anymore. Just because of all of that doesn't mean I stay home. I don't wade as deep or swift as I used to, but, due to having and counting on my wading staff, I can get on my favorite rivers and still fish.

Better safe than sorry my mother used to say - wise, wise words.

My staff is a collapsible sort that I keep fully extended and tethered to me at all times. When I am wading or walking I unhook the carabiner that keeps it close. When I stop to fish, I hook it back up close to me and allow it to float behind me in the water. It works great and is always at hand.

They call it a 'trekking' staff:

Kelly.
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

Good call Kelly; you only have to be wrong once.

Fred
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

I have taken "swims" more times than I care to remember, without a staff...I carry one of these now:

The Folstaf Company

..and use it.

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Wink Re: Do you use a Wading Staff?

Just my .02 cents with fold ups ..... no one actually unflolds the darned things until they're in a place they shouldn't be. The other thing I dislike is they just (open) float in front on you, not a weighted tip sticking to the bottom.

You need it and you're trying to fish the damned thing out of the water with both hands and a fly rod 'in the third.' As John Wayne would say: 'Lots of luck Pilgrim.'

i carry the fishpond collapsible one, i stick it in my wading belt like a knife, sort of. any who out of all the times I have taken it with me I never felt the need to use it, but im sure one day i will have a need to use it and that will be the day i decide to leave it in my truck

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    Just my .02 cents with fold ups ..... no one actually unflolds the darned things until they're in a place they shouldn't be. The other thing I dislike is they just (open) float in front on you, not a weighted tip sticking to the bottom.

You need it and you're trying to fish the damned thing out of the water with both hands and a fly rod 'in the third.' As John Wayne would say: 'Lots of luck Pilgrim.'
    Hey Fred...since I use mine as a trekking pole from the car to the stream, mine is ready to roll. I don't think logistics is the big issue with fold ups...

1. when you jam a fold up into the bottom and it sticks for whatever reason, the darn thing will come apart as pull it free. Not too useful if you're in jeopardy.

2. at 220 lbs I'm concerned it will crumple if I really need it and lean into it hard at the wrong time.

These are the reasons I'm thinking of going to a solid staff...

KG do you attach yours to your belt at all with a shock cord, or just try to stay mindful to plant it in the stream hard enough that it wont float away?

I like to think I'm pretty good at reading currents and am safe as well...but sometimes you just have to get to the other side. In cases of high water crossing I have found a proper stick to help me on my way. Never bought or carried a staff to date.

(Right now Dan, you'd have a hard time swimming in the BH even if you wanted to!)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the_infidel View Post
    KG do you attach yours to your belt at all with a shock cord, or just try to stay mindful to plant it in the stream hard enough that it wont float away?
    Check out the pics and you'll see that I have a piece of flat braid attached on one end to my waders with a carabiner. It is about three feet long and attaches to the wrist strap of the staff with another carabiner. I then attach a larger carabiner to the wrist strap which I then use to attach to my waders when I'm not using the staff.

Kelly.
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast