Thread: cleaning waders

1. Default cleaning waders

I took my first trip with my orvis silver sonic waders my intial impression is that they were very comfortable and held up well to some brush busting with no leaks so that's cool. I did however wade through some deep mud. I was wondering what the best way to clean them is? I seem to recall reading that I could put them in the washing maching with cold water on a gentle cycle. I've never spent this money on waders so I want to do it the right way does anybody know?

Blog Entries

Default Re: cleaning waders

Hi,

Wade in deep water and use your hands to wipe them down. No need to worry about keeping them in showroom condition. That's how I clean mine,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

A garden hose does a pretty good job of de-mudding waders.
    I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message, and if you would like to reach me by phone, please hang up now.

I always rinse my waders off with a garden hose and then let them air dry. If you wash your waders in the washer be prepared to loose some of the good fishing juju that you have accumulated thus far in said waders.

Randy
    “Fishing for me, as funny as it sounds, is sorta my brand of praying almost. I’m never closer to my spirituality than when I’m in the act of fishing.” - JT Van Zandt

Many years ago I was told by a Gore-tex guy that my Gore-tex waders should be washed with dry detergent. He encouraged me to wash them, so I've done that, and they perform well.

This may not work for everybody, but I wash mine in the bathtub. I just put a little dry detergent in warm water and use a soft brush to get stuff off. I rinse them well and air dry them on a rack.

(And, of course, I thoroughly wash the tub when I'm done so there aren't any repercussions over a muddy tub with aquatic vegitation floating around)

I'm not familiar with the silver sonic waders. But I'd hesitate to put any waders in a washing machine. I feel hand washing is safest.
    "Sometimes the least important thing about fishing is fishing." --Roderick Haig-Brown

Smile Re: cleaning waders

Go to the simms web site and watch how it's done,i do mine every time this way.

I use my washer machine but it is to only soak the waders in it. I put in the tech wash and fill it up and the let the waders soak in it, rinse them off in the shower and let dry. My waders are hung up when put away.
    Okiemountaineer

I hang my Orvis Silver Sonic waders on a step ladder and wash them with the garden hose (shower setting) with no detergent and let them dry in the shade in my backyard. Then I will hang them again in the garage for next weekend.
    The same thing with the boots. No scrubbing nor chemicals,
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

Blog Entries

Ok to to be clear, cleaning the outside of waders? Go find that deep water or water deep enough with a current to get the mud off of the outside. Or use a garden hose to get the mud off. On a brand new pair of waders, that's all that's needed. Now after you have spent time in them, there are a couple of good reasons to wash them.

First, cleaning them will help improve/restore breathability of the materials themselves. That's key when it comes to comfort. If you're like me and spend 10-12 hours in them at a time that's important. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations on which type of detergent to use, but basically you want something that leaves no residue behind.

I have had very good luck with this stuff:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Atsko-Sport-Wash-Bottle-wash/dp/B001DLF6C2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382976923&sr=8-1&keywords=atsko+sport+wash"]Amazon.com: Atsko Sport Wash 1L Bottle (34 wash): Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415a0U3lRhL.@@AMEPARAM@@415a0U3lRhL[/ame]

Additionally, there are various types of treatment that will help restore the DWR finish on them. You'll know when yours need some love because the water bleeds right into the fabric as soon as they're wet as opposed to beading off like rain drops on a fresh wax job on your vehicle.

Revivex is my product of choice to help restore the DWR finish.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/McNett-36221-ReviveX-Spray-On-10oz/dp/B000KBH9RQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382977060&sr=8-1&keywords=revivex"]Amazon.com: McNett ReviveX Spray-On: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-7fWHjC6L.@@AMEPARAM@@41-7fWHjC6L[/ame]

Hand washing is preferred over using the traditional type of washing machines, it will help reduce stress put on them by the agitator.

Winstonwt is right on, the Simms website has good instruction on their page for wader care.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Everybody's different, most of my friends just toss their waders in the garage when they're done fishing. But I feel like I'm living in the things when I'm wearing them, plus I want them to last a long time, so I clean them after almost every use. I have my own routine.

I turn them inside out and get the inside dry, then I turn them outside out and hand wash the outside with a little powered detergent. I let them air dry and hang them for storage.

Every now and then, or if I was wearing them for a long period of time, I wash the inside of the waders as well. It may help with the breathability of the breathable waders, but I sometimes do it with my neoprene waders as well, just to keep them fresh.

I just did the DWR test on my 9 year old Simms Guide gore tex waders. It's where you lay the waders flat and drop water drops on them. If the water beads up nice, the DWR is still potent. If the water immediately soaks into the fabric, the DWR need to be renewed. Mine are good except in the center of the knee area. I'm getting good water beading everywhere else.

I've done revivex 2 or 3 times over the life of my Simms waders. Simms says to spay it on while the waders are still damp, then use a hair dryer on the hottest setting.

However, I grew impatient with the hair dryer method the first time I tried it. Instead I use an iron to set the revivex. I set the iron at the lowest setting and iron them dry.

Simms doesn't mention using an iron to set up the revivex, so I suppose if you want to try it, do so at your own risk. (I would also recommend that you clean the iron surface afterwards in case some of the revivex is stuck to it). However the Gore Text guy I corresponded with suggested using an iron and it's worked for me.
    "Sometimes the least important thing about fishing is fishing." --Roderick Haig-Brown