Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB 3wt reel

Default WTB 3wt reel

Brothers, I bought the worlds worst fly reel. Its Cabelas Prestige and there are not words to describe how much I hate that thing. Too bad as Cabelas makes some good tackle, just not this reel.
    So, I have a very nice Redington 3wt CT in need of a reel. If any of you have a small low dollar reel I will give it a good home.

Default Re: WTB 3wt reel

How cheap you could pick up an Okuma SLV2/3 for about $60 on the auction site. Probably lots of knock off types even cheaper.

Blog Entries

you could find a nice medalist 1492 online.
    that would be a great pairing for that rod

casey

ARFE

Hardy/Greys G1 is a nice little 3/4 wt clicker that would suit that rod. I think I got mine for around $50.00.

"I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

Quote Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
    Brothers, I bought the worlds worst fly reel. Its Cabelas Prestige and there are not words to describe how much I hate that thing. Too bad as Cabelas makes some good tackle, just not this reel.
    You might want to start a thread on the worst reels ever on the main board
    In my experience, there's quite a few that are/were much worse than the Prestige. Which is made by Okuma by the way.. at least mine was .
    Cabela's doesn't make their own reels, they just re-brand them. Don't even think of trying to buy parts unless you know the original manufacturer
    I don't like my Prestige reel either, but but I've had worse, much worst. And one of those was a different reel from Cabela's

As for a replacement....I'm with Casey
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Don't know how small or low cost your next reel needs to be, but the Allen ATS is currently on sale.
    ATS Reel Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    You might want to start a thread on the worst reels ever on the main board
    In my experience, there's quite a few that are/were much worse than the Prestige. Which is made by Okuma by the way.. at least mine was .
    Cabela's doesn't make their own reels, they just re-brand them. Don't even think of trying to buy parts unless you know the original manufacturer
    I don't like my Prestige reel either, but but I've had worse, much worst. And one of those was a different reel from Cabela's

As for a replacement....I'm with Casey
    I wondered if Cabela's changed manufacturers of their branded reels through the years. Only bad reel model I ever got from them is the Wind River FQ just ordered. But that was years ago and they look different now. The Prestige Plus on my daughters new 4WT has a nice drag for the price, much like my Okuma IMO. These are cheap reels though, so I guess we all just find one that's acceptable to us, and we aren't out much if it doesn't last.

What is 'low dollar' for you?

Going for about $100 or less here'd be my list:

- ATS from Allen Fly Fishing $79 (listed as 3-5wt and is heavier than the others)
    - Orvis Battenkill $100
    - LL Bean Pocketwater $79 (listed as 3-5wt but weighs a bit less than the ATS)
    - Several from Angler's Roost $50-$80 depending on model

Do you have the 7'6" or the 8'6" CT? I don't stress much about 'balance' between the rod and reel but if you have the 8'6" rod I'd worry less about getting a slightly heavier reel (a 3/4 or 3/5wt rather than a 2/3wt)
    - William

Just built a 3wt on a Matrix blank and chose a Ross FlyStart. Kind of a budget rig.

Good little reel with a "real" drag if/when its' needed. Spares spools are inexpensive.

Does not have the romantic "clickity clackity" but will do a journeyman's job.

Pete A.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
    Don't know how small or low cost your next reel needs to be, but the Allen ATS is currently on sale.
    ATS Reel Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store
    I came within a frogs hair of buying one last night, for the most part just because I've been wanting to try an Allen. But spending eighty bucks for a reel to hang on a three weight seems silly. I mean all it has to do is hold line, not overspool, and not be intolerably ugly. I'll buy an Allen when I upgrade the reel on my eight weight. I figured I'd let Cabelas send me different model. It can't get any worse and all I'm out is shipping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast