Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ice dubbing

1. Default Re: ice dubbing

wow those are buggy looking. might have to try it next time I tie
    "Hey, you.Get your damn hands off my herl !!!!"

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.

2. Default Re: ice dubbing

Even when I buy Mohair already on a string, I will pull it off and use my dubbing loop cause the string they are on is too thich and can be seen when wet.
    Just no easy way for me LOL

Default Re: ice dubbing

Nice lookin ties Joni.

I also have the "Dubbit" shown in the second pic, a little light so I added weight to it.
    Your dubbing pick looks similar to what I use also, is yours a Dentist file?
    If not, hit your Dentist up for one, they use them for Root Canals to twist and wrap the tooth nerve around for removal, works well.

4. Default Re: ice dubbing

Quote Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
    Nice lookin ties Joni.

I also have the "Dubbit" shown in the second pic, a little light so I added weight to it.
    Your dubbing pick looks similar to what I use also, is yours a Dentist file?
    If not, hit your Dentist up for one, they use them for Root Canals to twist and wrap the tooth nerve around for removal, works well.

Oouch! but, I have been there! I will check that out...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    Even when I buy Mohair already on a string, I will pull it off and use my dubbing loop cause the string they are on is too thich and can be seen when wet.
    Just no easy way for me LOL

And that is a great idea, I hate the heavy stuff they use too.
    Will try it soon.

Dubbing loops are super cool, its like a way to make your own custom chenille with exactly the color, material combo, and fluffiness you want. You can even make them taperes to affect the profile of the fly.

Once you get good with it you can make very lively baitfish patterns with nothing more than a streamer hook, a marabout tail, loop dubbed body and beadchain eyes.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

7. Default Re: ice dubbing

now that I am done tying for the swap I am gonna practice the dubbing loop. do you have to use lots of dubbing? or just a lil like when you wrap?
    "Hey, you.Get your damn hands off my herl !!!!"

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.

Mcfly,

Materials vary greatly, whether it's natural/synthetic, thicker/thinner fiber, finer/heavier hair?
    That's only part of it, wait till you start mixing synthetic/natural materials together. your gonna come with all kinds of wild stuff.

My advice is to start out with either type material, try spinning at first with smaller amounts, spin until material flairs, if it looks light, unspin and add a little more.

Try to get most of the fiber/hair going in the same direction, across the thread at a 90 degree angle.

A common mistake is to spin the loop too much and break the thread, so keep an eye on your thread at the hook base.... if it starts to back wrap onto itself you need to untwist a bit.

Don't forget to close your loop at the hook when you have it filled with enough material: this is done by making a 1-2 wraps with the bobbin around the thread at top of the loop.

When wrapping the loop onto the hook shank, stroke the fibers backward after each wrap for a fuzzier appearance.

You can even trim the material on a taper before spinning for a tapered body.

Before long your gonna get the hang of it and go crazy, have fun!!

9. Default Re: ice dubbing

I use a little, but maybe make a longer loop. That way I can adjust as I go without having to stop and start over. You can use less material and closer/more wraps, but if you get too much, it turns into a big hair ball mess. You want it to move in the water.
    I second the don't spin too much or the thread will break.

Try laying some bright colored thread or Mylar on the hook shank first, the loose wraps of the dubbing with space between wraps. VERY effective pattern.

I just noticed this dubbing thread going on. I probably use the dubbing loop 3/4 of the time. I've been tying up some fur-hackled wets and nymphs. Got the idea out of Dave Huges book 'Wetflys'. It has worked great! I couldn't find the Pine Squirrel skins around here so I just bought some Pine Squirrel zonker strips and clipped the hair from them. When I lay down a red thread base and make the loop with the same thread, it gives a great effect; especially after it's wet! I use the fur for the thorax region and usually a hares ear dubbing or whatever for the abdomen. I've worked it into hares ear patterns, caddis patterns and more. There's a lot of possibilities with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast