Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What weight mono for a loop?

Default What weight mono for a loop?

Well after having to return 2 Cebalas Stowaway 7's due to the length being miss marked on the tubes, I went to a different rod model, PT+, for my first outfit. So I rigged up everything yesterday but I need to get some mono to make a loop for leader attachment.
    My question is, what wt. mono would be best for using with 5wt. fly line?
    Thanks,

Default Re: What weight mono for a loop?

If you're talking about a short leader loop on the end of your 5wt line I would say lines from 20lb test to 30lb test could work well. It depends on the stiffness of the material you are using.

For example, Mason's hard mon is quite stiff, 20lb could do nicely, other more limp mono's, 30 might be ideal.

Personally, I'd go with 30lb red amnesia because its not too stiff, and the strike indicator qualities come in handy at times.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
    If you're talking about a short leader loop on the end of your 5wt line I would say lines from 20lb test to 30lb test could work well. It depends on the stiffness of the material you are using.

For example, Mason's hard mon is quite stiff, 20lb could do nicely, other more limp mono's, 30 might be ideal.

Personally, I'd go with 30lb red amnesia because its not too stiff, and the strike indicator qualities come in handy at times.

Thanks Cliff.....

Why not just go with a tapered leader tied to the fly line with a needle nail knot & when it's time to replace the leader leave 6" or so, or enough of it on to tie a loop in it. & then you'll have your loop to loop.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
    Why not just go with a tapered leader tied to the fly line with a needle nail knot & when it's time to replace the leader leave 6" or so, or enough of it on to tie a loop in it. & then you'll have your loop to loop.
    Well wouldn't that just be way to easy

Thanks for the input

Hi Flydog,

I have used Amnesia with good results. Not be cause of the color but it just seems to be good stuff. I find the best approach is to use the same diameter Amnesia as the butt of the leaders you use. It could even be a little larger but I would not go much smaller.

If I remember correctly I usually use 20/25lb on a 5wt and 30/40lb on 8wt and above.

Frank

7. Default Re: What weight mono for a loop?

Quote Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
    I have used this method, works quite well.

8. Default Re: What weight mono for a loop?

I second, or third...maybe even forth, the attach a leader and when used up put a perfection loop in 4" to 6" of it.

9. Default Re: What weight mono for a loop?

I'll fifth the tie on the leader and then loop it when it's time for a new one. 99% of the time that works just fine. But, if you really have a hankering to add a butt I think .021 diameter should work fine for a 5 wt.
    "If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach

Thanks everyone,

I originally tied a short leader loop with some Berkley 25# test I had here but I couldn't get it to not want to hold the coil from being on the spool so that's when I thought I'd ask.
    I'll be putting a loop on the old leader when it's time to change it.

Hopefully I'll be trying out my new outfit on a neighbors pond in the next couple of days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast