Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: reel suggestion

Default reel suggestion

im looking for a reel for an 8wt rod im about to get. in the salt ill be going for reds/trout and bass in fw. looking to spend under $300 but might be willing to spend more if i come across extra money soon. any suggestions? ive looked into the velocity hard alox, looks promising. i really like the looks of galvan's spoke and torque large arbor but those are on the verge of being too expensive for me. thanks for any help

Blog Entries

Default Re: reel suggestion

The Velocity is a good reel for the application. It has a durable finish and reliable sealed drag system. My only reservation is the strength of the alloys used on Lamson/Waterworks. They are more prone to bending than other reels.

The Galvans are also good fits for your application. I find that the Spoke and Torque drag systems (they are the same units) to be very reliable and have a bit more stopping power than the Lamson. If you want Torque like performance and want to spend a little less, look at the Galvan Rush 8 ($320). It is the same build as the Torque, but it is not as machined out. Of all the Northern California guides who I know, most of them use Galvan. If you need a testimonial, ask Bigfly. He's on the Galvan program.

MP

3. Default Re: reel suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by rjackh View Post
    im looking for a reel for an 8wt rod im about to get. in the salt ill be going for reds/trout and bass in fw. looking to spend under $300 but might be willing to spend more if i come across extra money soon. any suggestions? ive looked into the velocity hard alox, looks promising. i really like the looks of galvan's spoke and torque large arbor but those are on the verge of being too expensive for me. thanks for any help
    You should get a colton torrent, uses stacked rulon as the drag. Type 2 anodized. That reel is used for Tuna and Marlin. Maybe even mako shark (not in a 8 wt obviously). It is around $300.

4. Default Re: reel suggestion

I'd take a look at the Orvis, LA. They're light and not too expensive.

Randy

Get intouch with Justin from Allen Fly Fishing on here... Amazing reels and look sharp too

what kind of warranty does colton have? i have heard allen reels are a little on the heavy side.

that galvan spoke sure has my eye so far. but im leaning towards a lamson velocity or litespeed. i really like their hard alox finish, pretty much indestructible. im always worried about putting a scratch in my evolution LT lol

what would you have to do to bend a lamson reel? im not gonna be throwing it around in a boat or back of the truck etc.

I "second" the suggestion of taking a look @ the Allen reels. I just received my Alpha 9/10 and to say I'm impressed with it is an understatement. As far as wt being an issue....I don't think it's heavy at all, besides, you may need a bit heavier reel to balance your outfit for salt.

Try one out, if it's not to your liking you can always send it back, but I bet you don't.
    Now the only question left is; What are you going to use the leftover $$$ for?

Here's a review Frank has done for Allen reels.
    http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-fly-reel.html
    Last edited by fysh; 08-08-2010 at 11:59 AM.

8. Default Re: reel suggestion

I vote for the allen alpha also... i own a small collection now..lol.. I have sold my other reels and use all allens now... I like mine more that my lamsons i had.. as for weight they are light... they balance really well... on the lighter rod weights 5 and under go with the trout reel...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rjackh View Post
    what would you have to do to bend a lamson reel? im not gonna be throwing it around in a boat or back of the truck etc.
    I have sent many Lamsons, as well as, Waterworks, reels back to its service center for bent spools more than any other brand. The number one cause is from being dropped. Drop a Galvan, Hatch, Abel, or a Tibor, you'll probably start crying due a scratch or nick, but the good chance is that the spool won't be bent. A few reels that I sent back had bent spools from being bounced around during a rough ride in a jetboat or panga.

Most of the bent Lamson spools happened on the Waterworks Force series and some on the Velocity and Litespeed models. They are machined as thin as possible (more so on the Force series) for weight savings.

MP

10. Default Re: reel suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by fysh' View Post
    I "second" the suggestion of taking a look @ the Allen reels. I just received my Alpha 9/10 and to say I'm impressed with it is an understatement. As far as wt being an issue....I don't think it's heavy at all, besides, you may need a bit heavier reel to balance your outfit for salt.

Try one out, if it's not to your liking you can always send it back, but I bet you don't.
    Now the only question left is; What are you going to use the leftover $$$ for?

Here's a review Frank has done for Allen reels.
    http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-fly-reel.html
    I would third Allen if it is fo freshwater. I think you can get one for $70 too!! Not sure about how it will handle the salt tho?? Colton has a lifetime warranty, and is bulletproof. It has a drag similiar to Hatch but half the price.

I am not going to name names, but some people here suggest equipment based on what the fly shop they work at carries, maybe because they are only experience with that from work.

If you are going to be fishing freshwater definitely go for Allen. If you are going to take it to salt, go with Colton. I don't think you are going to find a better reel than colton unless you pay $1000.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast