Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cuisine of the Commonsewer...

Default Re: Cuisine of the Commonsewer...

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    Woozer Big Dog .. now don't you be thinkin' dissin' Cream of Mushroom soup. You want a 'white gravy' the first thing you pull out is a large can and a small can of extra 'shrooms.' Pork Chops, with this for gravy .. Food Fit For The Gods!

Tent side meals .... 'Is it ready yet????' Even done this (with fried eggs/hash spuds) for breakfasts. Twit's scarfed it down, rain was pouring down, clanking of spoons on metal plates in their tents. Don't forget to make far more coffee than you think you'll need for this PACK OF WOLVES ... you will be wrong on your guess.

fae
    That does sound pretty good. Just threw a can in the camping supplies. Chili dogs were already on the menu but they won't look like Brad's I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbusman View Post
    I'm wondering . . .what does a true believer like GrtLksMarlin et. al. do when you stop in to an A&W fast food outlet and see a skinless dog on an ordinary bun with some chili and onions on it labeled: "Coney Dog"? Do you react in shock and incredulousness over the sacrilege? Stomp out in rage? Avoid such fast food joints like the plague?
    I can't recall...All I remember is the tray hanging on the window as I looked at it and took a bite.

The next thing I remember was being in that little room wearing a straight jacket, and some man showing me photos and asking me, "do you remember this?"

Okay, well that's a lie, but it seems reasonable...Frankly, they make "Papa-Burgers" for a reason.

B.E.F.

---------- Post added at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    If you will include a snapshot of the nippers constructed using the dentures this would be the most interesting thread ever submitted to the Lodge Den threads.
    Well, I think it will have to wait until I have a photo of those nippers taking a bite of a Coney Dog...Unfortunately, for the nippers, I don't share my Coneys

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
    ----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
    ---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    That does sound pretty good. Just threw a can in the camping supplies. Chili dogs were already on the menu but they won't look like Brad's I'm afraid.
    Greatest invention for camping were paper plates and cups .. for clean up just toss them in the fire. Your spoon? Just wipe it off with your shirt or a paper kneepkin.

Well not the old coffee cup, you've used same for the past 20 some years (or at least I have).
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Just for the record, Coney Joe's will remain open until the sale is finalized. Last chance to visit a true Coney Island landmark, and though and have what has long been considered one of the "World's Greatest!" ...and yes, if you live in a 3,000 mile radius of it, then it is worth the trip!

Coney Joe's is up for sale

B.E.F.
    Last edited by GrtLksMarlin; 09-11-2016 at 11:53 AM.

Well like most of you guys, I feel it is high time that I return the favor so many of you have with your fishing reports, and share my most recent visit, this evening no less, to share my experience with American Legion Memorial Post #419's Coneys.

Now I say American Legion Memorial Post #419 in Pinckney, Michigan, and I realize that typically we do not share exact locations of our hotspots, so I will refrain from telling you exactly which seat I sat in (though here is a hint, it was the one closest to the entrance of the bar ). That said, simply to confuse any web-searchers, I'll simply from here on refer to the location as Coney Eden, Paradise, Nirvana, or perhaps even Heaven, etc..

Simply a matter of FACT! If the place serves the finest Coneys in S.E. Michigan, that means it serves the finest Coneys in the state. And in that Michigan is Mecca to all true Coney Commonsewers, then that means they are the finest Coneys in the Nation. Naturally in that the rest of the world is Coney ignorant, or lets just say "uncivilized," then, ergo, best on the planet. Forget the Universe in that Aliens is just plain Coney dumb. So these are THE best, period, end of discussion and on to the trip report.

A tad anxious so arriving a bit early for the bi-weekly Coney migration from the griddle to my belly, I was forced to wait an entire 12-minutes and approximately 37.364 seconds before the serving window officially opened. Though not on par with combat fishing on the Au Sable during Steelhead season, there was still the "blue-haired rush" to contend with.

For those unfamiliar with mass-feedings at conservation clubs, Legion Halls, VFW's and similar, there is clearly a feeding hierarchy when it comes to "line-up and get it" meals. The "Blue Hairs" oft times living from meal to toilet to meal to Geritol+Metamucil to Wheel of Fortune to snack to bedtime... Old retired bastages like I.A.Trouter... Typically head up just before anything opens up to be first. Be sure of something, if you get up there first, you will be soundly scowled at, chastised, and even have folks get angry close to the verge of violence in that you disregarded the clear pecking order. So, though worth risking life and limb for a perfect Coney would be worth it, I never the less controlled myself trembling as the serving window's shutters slowly opened.

Perhaps the great Coney migration had caught them off-guard, yet as I waited, my feet already running in place under the table as I remained seated, only one singular Blue Hair approached the window. Was this it? Was this my once in a lifetime chance to have first dibs on edible perfection? No one, not another soul moved, and as my feet moved faster and faster remaining in place like Fred Flintstone preparing to bolt, I controlled myself to such a point that I was able to wait an entire 30 seconds. Then like a shot, I was off, and charged the serving window leaping over all three rows of tables like an Olympian!

Well, okay that's a lie. I just walked around them seeing no one else was going.

Anyway, when I finally reached the window wouldn't you know it? The guy there wanted to talk with the servers! I mean what in the hell!? I don't have the amount of courage it would take to stand between a little girl let alone a grown man and Coney Islands, yet this guy just kept yapping away to such a point that I had begun fidgeting, shuffling about and plucking out ear hairs. Finally perhaps 15-seconds later, the guy finally moved, and as I stepped up trembling, in my most manly of voices suddenly sounding like some pubescent girl who's voice is changing, squeaked out "two please."

Never the less, I had them. Epicurean perfection, ambrosia on a plastic plate, the food of the Midwestern gods! Two, buck nekkid Coney Islands. That's right, bare and not yet defiled by the trappings which define a Coney as much as diamonds upon a Hollywood starlet. Two buns, two natural skinned dogs, slathered and slopped on in abstract artistic perfection with Coney sauce, and you better dang well believe it is made with beef-hearts.

Here is where one is forced to chose. Classic perfection being only mustard and Spanish onions, or does one opt to throw caution to the winds and live wild and free as you toss on post 419's hot pepper relish (and it is so good and so hot that the devil I suspect invented it to defile Coney purity), and Pete's Red Hot upon it... Now don't get me wrong, Louisiana Hot Sauce is the better choice. Yet they don't have it there, and I won't bring it in that if I did, then the place would be packed with folks when they discovered what good really is.

In any case, conservative shmermative, let the traditional folks balk all they want. I'm young (ahem) and free! So on went the hot relish, and the hot sauce, and then I topped it off with the mustard and onions. Fork and 14 napkins in hand, I scurried back to the table, and at this point knowing you guys just look at the fishing reports for the pictures (articles my backside), I'll let them do the talking for me! Well, actually my wife was as she called me an idiot and just drank.

Oh yeah, that's them, the very best Coneys in the Universe. They're all mine, put on your drool bibs and try to keep your raging jealousy in check as... I take a bite:

There we go, that's the look as pure ecstasy just starts to sweep over me like that first drink of water to a thirsty man, that first drag off a cigarette you could finally sneak away from the wife, that fist sip of a perfect scotch after finding out you won the lottery.

What, oh no, could it be? What is that sensation, that feeling as you begin to chew? That rush of your first kiss where the gal thought you were cool not some dork (yeah, she wasn't none too bright neither), or where the heavens opened up and he looked down upon you as you opened up the letter and it said you just have a bladder infection!

Don't even try and ask me what I was thinking at that point.
    I can't tell from the photo if I'm laughing, crying, or have just found absolute enlightenment!
    All I'm able to tell you is this:

Yes, I can still taste it on my mustache...
    And no, I'll not be washing it for two more weeks until it is Coney night at American Legion Memorial Post #419 in Pinckney, Michigan, again!

B.E.F.

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    Greatest invention for camping were paper plates and cups .. for clean up just toss them in the fire. Your spoon? Just wipe it off with your shirt or a paper kneepkin.

Well not the old coffee cup, you've used same for the past 20 some years (or at least I have).
    There are a couple of generations floating around now who did their service in time to subsist for long periods on gen one and two MRE's. You'll sometimes spot these guys in camp with a long-handled brown spoon. This was an up grade: A spoon long enough that you didn't have to get your filthy fingers in the steamy hot chicken ala king, or your beef stew, or my own favorite-chicken and rice. With the hot sauce and the cheese sauce, very good food.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrtLksMarlin View Post
    For those unfamiliar with mass-feedings at conservation clubs, Legion Halls, VFW's and similar, there is clearly a feeding hierarchy when it comes to "line-up and get it" meals. The "Blue Hairs" oft times living from meal to toilet to meal to Geritol+Metamucil to Wheel of Fortune to snack to bedtime... Old retired bastages like I.A.Trouter...
    B.E.F.
    Awesome thread, I'm still laughing at some of your writings, but the one above was a classic, can't wait until Dewayne see how he's been memorized!
    I agree with Ard, this thread deserves to be a sticky.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    B.E.F.
    Awesome thread, I'm still laughing at some of your writings, but the one above was a classic, can't wait until Dewayne see how he's been memorized!
    I agree with Ard, this thread deserves to be a sticky.
    How could I have possibly missed that tucked away in one of Brad's long winded and directionless rants. I guess I better search for my name occasionally for his latest hit piece.

And good call from JoJer about the long MRE spoons. Those are worth washing and keeping around for camping. The plastic cutlery they sell at the dollar store is junk. Imagine that.

Wish my computer had smellavision!

Denny

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234