DIY Fly to Trip Recommendation?

matt_geiman

Reaction score
I got a $500 voucher from Southwest Airlines, and am thinking of using it for a fishing trip. Where should I go that is close to an airport, and DIY accessible? I don't have a lot of time off work so I'm thinking of doing it over Memorial day weekend for a 3 day trip. I live near Washington DC. Look forward to see your recomendations! Thanks!

I

ikankecil

I just looked at the Southwest route map. For fishing that is close to the airport, on the Southwest Airlines map? -Cabo san Lucas.

Get a room at the Mar de Cortez in town (one of the main hotels from yesteryear, clean, centrally located). For fishing, take an 8wt and 10wt, fish the west-facing beaches off of Solmar if the surf isn't too big. If the surf is up, hire a panga in the marina to take you out out past the arch (El Arco) and put those sinking lines to use with 2-3" long clousers in lighter colors.

I just got back from a DIY trip in Mexico and if you are trying to shave costs, it can be very inexpensive to self-cater the food end of it via the local market or even the Circle-K/7-11's, both of which have a decent grocery section compared to their U.S. counterparts.

You do not need a fishing license if fishing on foot. You do need a license if fishing from a boat.

acorad

Reaction score
I just looked at the Southwest route map. For fishing that is close to the airport, on the Southwest Airlines map? -Cabo san Lucas.
Would love to see a report on this. Been dreaming of roosterfish!

Andy

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Oh yeah, I was going to suggest FL Keys, before Cabo entered the discussion!

Andy

I

ikankecil

Would love to see a report on this. Been dreaming of roosterfish!
Roosterfish are FAR better up closer to Los Barriles which is about 40 minutes from the airport in Cabo. That said, once in Los Barriles (often referred to as "East Cape"), you can catch quite a bit right from shore on foot (roosterfish/sierra/ladyfish/jacks/etc).

If headed to Los Barriles, give Patricia Morrison a shout at Hotel Los Pescadores, a small hotel she owns. She can arrange the details whether you are fishing on foot or doing the daily boat thing. Not sure if linking websites is allowed but if so, contact her via the hotel site: fisheastcape.com

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

Oh yeah, I was going to suggest FL Keys, before Cabo entered the discussion!

Andy
Having lived in South Florida for a number of years and fished the Keys extensively, I find it a very limiting area without a boat. There are a few spots on Marathon, a flat or two around Islamorada but unless you at least have a way of getting to the flats that are further out, it's often a disappointing experience.

If a person can be content with river fishing for snook, you could fly into WPB and spend the time in Stuart though. The south fork of the St Lucie river is a very productive area for snook via kayak if they aren't dumping water from Lake O.....wait, come to think of it, recent reports from friends indicate the river catch has been pretty lousy due to dumping. Scratch that idea :(

So, how about Cabo? :D

missin44

Reaction score
In the west you'll be dealing with runoff Memorial Day unless it's a tailwater, I would say New Orleans, Redfish but that's not DIY.

matt_geiman

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your ideas! I'm now thinking about redfish. Any good ideas? If there isn't much I can do on my own I may end up hiring a guide, especially if they could pick me up from the airport :)

missin44

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your ideas! I'm now thinking about redfish. Any good ideas? If there isn't much I can do on my own I may end up hiring a guide, especially if they could pick me up from the airport :)
New Orleans, 45 min drive from airport to Slidell, LA, might call it the Mecca of redfishing. Probably the closest large airport to any fishing. Not sure about he guides, but even and Uber may work. Talk to some guides.