Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Those cheap eBay reels

Default Those cheap eBay reels

I was looking at reels on eBay and I see all these really cheap (around 10 bucks) reels. Has anyone here ever bought one? I would be in the market for a cheap 4 weight, just a line holder, really, and would consider one of those if it isn't going to fall apart in a week. (Though they don't seem to list the actual weight of the things so that could be an issue.)

Default Re: Those cheap eBay reels

Try a Piscifun if youre looking at cheaper reels. Fully machined, anodized, etc, for > $50. I have two and they certainly wont just ranromly fall apart.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

I agree with nevadanstig... Piscifun makes some very budget friendly reels and they look slick too. Really enjoy my Sword. Believe they're a forum sponsor... maybe they have a discount code for Nafff members

Thanks. If I decide to go up to the $50 range I will certainly look at those. I was just curious about what you can get for 10 bucks (or even less for some of them). On the other hand, I have been in places where the natives have some string wrapped around a coffee can, and they catch bigger fish than I have ever caught...

Look at vintage reels. Lot of great line holders made in the USA that have lasted decades... much better than a $10 Chinese reel that'll last 10 days.

I have 3 ebay South Bend Crystal River injection-molded reels that I've used regularly for a couple years now and have had no problems with. I think they were around $13.

Andy

Most of my rods have Okuma Sierra reels on them. The first I bought long ago, was $25+/-. Several years later, around $30. The last time , I think was $35. That was several 4/5's and a 5/6. Most I bought spare spools for. All bought in Sportsman's Warehouse.
    I also shop cheap reels in Cabela's bargain cave BUT, that's in store where I can see why they were returned. $15 to $20 is a bet I can handle.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Quote Originally Posted by gpwhitejr View Post
    Thanks. If I decide to go up to the $50 range I will certainly look at those. I was just curious about what you can get for 10 bucks (or even less for some of them). On the other hand, I have been in places where the natives have some string wrapped around a coffee can, and they catch bigger fish than I have ever caught...
    There is little that can go wrong mechanically with a hand line. The Chinese reels you have observed are not merely cheaply made but are frequently reverse engineered "rip-offs" of some Western companies copyrighted creative product ideas. Though inexpensive to purchase personally, they are more costly ethically in the bigger picture. I recommend boycotting them and seeking a branded or second hand reel.

If you can't afford more than $10 for a fly reel, maybe we can take up a collection here and buy you one from Piscifun or Allen, two Forum sponsors.

"If you can't afford more than $10 for a fly reel..."

Oh, I can afford it. I was just curious about what they might be like. Aren't most of the lower end brand-name reels made in China? I wonder if they are basically the same reels without the brand name on them.

Buy yourself a handful, let us know how they are!

Andy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast