Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carp

Default Re: Carp

Google John Montana's blog

Blog Entries

Grass carp are the only ones I ever see in the lake behind the house. There used to be huge Buffalo carp, but I don't know if the are in there anymore. Grass Carp were stocked in I think one event as a weed control effort and as I understand it are sterile due to some chromosomal alterations. Between them and the stocked tilapia, which breed like rabbits, there isn't a single tiny blade of anything in the submerged vegetation realm on a lake that once had tons of coontail and other types of moss. There are a few patches of lily pads, but I don't think of that as submerged grass.

I don't know what any of them eat now that the grass is gone. Mud, suspended algae, dragonfly larvae, crawfish, fish eggs, they must be eating something. The Grass carp, they must be 15 pounds or more, resemble big redfish lazing up against the bank. There seems to be a green film that grows on the submerged roots, stumps and I see them putting their noses to it.

There's a fly fishing sight casting carp scene up on the concrete lined bayous in nearby Houston. One or more of the guides ties carp flies and sell them up there in the fly shops. Maybe ill get up there and will pick up a brass hawk, that's a popular pattern or one of the ones that looks like a clump of green algae.

I think I have thing about fishing for what seems to me as essentially an underwater cow. Predator fish like redfish or largemouth bass, check, they get the green light. So do ones that are a mix of predator and scavenger., catfish or bluegill might fit here and are on my approved list. But a fish that eats vegetables...I don't know. I have heard they are strong.

3. Default Re: Carp

When the lawn guys cut the grass I see a small pod of carp eating the grass that is on the surface of the water.

My lake is also loaded with talapia and bream.

There were small LM bass in it years ago but they couldn't reproduce because of all the bream that eat their eggs. Also, there is not much cover for them.

Blog Entries

My wife gave me some big deer hair poppers for my birthday. I had a big grass carp come up and swirl at them a couple of times. Surprised the heck out of me.

Do grass carp eat acorns? There's a big water oak dropping acorns next door. Every morning recently, wood ducks are up on the bank feasting on the acorns. But there seems to be something making a commotion out in the water. Anyone have an acorn pattern?

Blog Entries

These grass carp keep getting more and more interesting. I actually had one today during my lunch break swallow a black Cat's Booby Straggle and spit it out a split second later and just before I could set the hook. Another one nosed the same fly.

I feel like I'm getting closer to cracking the Grass Carp code knowing that many of you are fully fluent in Carp. These things in the lake are big, ~15 pounds, and I've seen them move when they spook. I may never get one in in a lake full of shoreline snags, but I'd settle a take and run at this point.

karstopo, Carpin' is just fun! Seeing the fish at least swirl at a fly is a rush.

Good luck cracking the Carp code!

Denny

Blog Entries

Here is one of my tormentors. I'm used to casting to meat eaters. How do you get acorn chomping fish to take a fly? I've heard of the coffee bean fly, but I'm not going there.

So far, it's been the cold shoulder. One suck in and spit out. Some nose nudges. No doubt I've put the fly, multiple offerings, in the zone. I'm patient. It will happen.

The fish in the photo rejected some carp fly dangled at it's front.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Cracked the grass carp code. I cast a Cat's Booby Straggle to a 7-8 pound fish that was checking stuff on the surface. Shot was about 30 feet and I made it with my 4/5 wgt. CGR. I put the fly in the path of the fish and the fish obliged by coming to it and slurping the surface fly in.

It never really ran probably because the water is deep. It mostly came towards me and didn't really rev up like I thought it might. I was on the dock with no net and had to lay on my stomach to reach down to pull it in. I wasn't sure where to grab it so I went for the mouth but some little sand paper teeth caused me to let go and it surged breaking the tippet. Fish to hand is a fish caught even if there's no photo.

karstopo, good going! after all those casts it had to be great to have one take a surface offering. Haven't had that happen to me yet, so I'll keep trying.

Denny

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    karstopo, good going! after all those casts it had to be great to have one take a surface offering. Haven't had that happen to me yet, so I'll keep trying.

Denny
    These carp are chomping on acorns that the squirrels have already munched on. A water oak hangs over the dock and there's another one 120 feet to the north on the neighbor's tract. That tree usually has 4-5 grass carp milling around all throughout the day. The acorns end up as fragments after the squirrels finish with them and some look a little fermented. I'm pretty sure some of these fragments float for a bit and attract these slow roving surface sipping carp.

I had a pattern that I put my hopes on, a FAB blob, but the carp only seem minimally interested in that super slow sinking fly. To me, it looks a little acornish when wet.

I've tried sinking patterns, but the shoreline tapers off to deep water rapidly and it's rare when the carp feed right against the bank and on the bottom. Plus there's limbs galore so that makes sub surface tough.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast