Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost my virginity today

Default Lost my virginity today

Well, with a fly rod anyways. Landed a nice bright little trout today, about 8" long.

The funny thing about it was that it was at a casting class. lol

It was the second of two part class and was held on the water. The Clackamas for those who know the Oregon rivers. The instructor had us meet at a park on the river this morning. The spot was chosen for the ease of wading, good spot on river for reading, open area to cast and lack of pressure from other anglers or recreationers. In fact, he told us to not expect any fish because it was a poor spot for it and time of year was bad.

I had a bit of an advantage over my fellow classmate in that i have had a private lesson from the instructor before and have spent some time on rivers attempting to fly fish.

Started the day working on casting dry flies, then moved on to some nymphing. Then later went back to dry flies and combining all the different casts together. It was about 1 in the afternoon and we were drifting dry flies and things had felt good for me and it seemed that everything just "came together". Casting was going well, small fish were jumping. I started seeing rises and then boom, i saw it all unfold in front of me. It felt great. The fly i was using, iirc, was a EC Caddis. That sound familiar?

Got him in, and released with no trauma. Went back to fishing again and kept getting more strikes. We then moved on to a different part of the river but there was no action there.

I really felt in a groove though. I felt like i had officially become a fly fisherman. lol

The instructor, Jakob is his name, said i was doing great and told me i was in the top 10% of his students. Woohoo!

I just wish i had thought to take my camera to my lesson.

Default Re: Lost my virginity today

Vans,
    Well, I have to say at first I thought I was at the wrong forum.
    Glad to hear of your success. Keep up the good work. And next time remember your camera. Always happy to see pics.
    Youre finally a man........a fisher-man!!!!
    Seth

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
    ----------------------------------------
    Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...

Vans,

Congrats--- that first fish on a fly is a watershed moment. Great job.

If you still have the fly you might consider retiring it to a place of honor--- many years and... a zillion fish later... you'll look at it, and it'll bring you a smile.
    Mark

Many thanks.

If the fly was mine i would certainly set it aside. However, the instructor had us leave what flies and packs we had back at our base and he supplied us with flies.

I will see him again, maybe i should ask to buy it from him.....

Blog Entries

Vans: Congrats on the first trout with a fly rod, that has to feel pretty good!

Larry

Congrats Vans! get that fly if you can, you won't regret hanging on to it and reminiscing down the road!

Good job..... Now you are on the way to becoming a real Trout Slut

Blog Entries

Congratulations!!! The e/c caddis stands for emergent/cripple caddis, designed by Ralph Cutter. Looks like you're an emerging flyfisher!!!

Blog Entries

Congrats, Vans! Now it's off to the races for you. Good luck with the endeavor.

MP

Blog Entries

Congrats for catching...and releasing your first fishyou'll remember this one all your life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast