Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cost/benefit of windshield time vs flight time

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cost/benefit of windshield time vs flight time

Quote Originally Posted by c web View Post
    ...a rotisserie chicken and some tortillas goes a long ways. LOL
    Ooh, there's an idea. I like that.

steve
    "Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

FWIW, this is the kind of view you get when you take the lonely highways north of I-40:

This certainly factors into the decision to drive from LA!
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

Farmington, ill. ( stop by for a cold beer on your way thru)

Put me in the drive category. I love to unwind and enjoy the scenery even in its most basic form, I am talking to you Nebraska

I make several 17 hour drives to Utah every year and enjoy most every minute

kev

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yikes View Post
    FWIW, this is the kind of view you get when you take the lonely highways north of I-40:

And you can stop and enjoy the scenery whenever you like.

steve
    "Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

An option for red spire views, from I-40 take the short side trip south to Sedona when you hit Flagstaff, by heading down 89A. You might even want to have a couple of different weight rods rigged when you get to the area. Spent last week in that area.

Dave

Well, we left LA Thursday at 3:30am, and by the time we hit Cajon Pass, we decided to detour north through Zion National Park. We had lunch in Kanab, and got into Navajo Dam by 5:30 pm. It added about 2 hours and made for a super-long day, but the scenery was oh-so-worth it.

Coming back, we fished yesterday until noon, ate sandwiches in the car, stopped in Flagstaff for dinner, and got home just before midnight.

My new car has features such as adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist, blind spot monitoring, auto-dimming mirrors, etc. I can't believe how much easier it is to go long distances with these extra features. I'm just as attentive a driver as before, but now the car is attentive too and predicts what is needed, so I don't have to make so many subconscious minor adjustments doing the same kind of driving. It definitely makes "windshield time" less tiresome.
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

When I was young man, single and self employed, I would drive from the East Coat to Montana and take my time...on one memorable occasion with two friends it took us 9,000 miles and a few weeks to get there. In recent years with less extended time, like one month of fishing time verses my youthful three months, I fly to Portland and drive with Dillon for a day and a half to get there getting the best and worst of both travel methods. As I look out the jet's window at the terrain below I tell myself, "Flying is no fun but in the good old days, a wagon with wood, iron rimmed wheels took so long to get there".

I returned from fishing yesterday via three planes, a twin prop Otter to a Boeing to a 15 hour ride in a double decker Airbus out of Dubai. A day and a half in the air plus two layovers. But I'm home in front of this computer rather than on a wooden sailing ship still in the Indian Ocean.

Travel time relatively amortized to fishing time is the logic I apply to this question.

sweetandsalt, I have to say that Emirates A380 is one of the most comfortable economy class flights I've ever taken... especially important when LAX-Dubai is 16+ hours.
    Your flight description made it sound like you were perhaps in the Seychelles...?
    - Hank Patterson

9. Default Re: Cost/benefit of windshield time vs flight time

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    When I was young man, single and self employed, I would drive from the East Coat to Montana and take my time...on one memorable occasion with two friends it took us 9,000 miles and a few weeks to get there. In recent years with less extended time, like one month of fishing time verses my youthful three months, I fly to Portland and drive with Dillon for a day and a half to get there getting the best and worst of both travel methods. As I look out the jet's window at the terrain below I tell myself, "Flying is no fun but in the good old days, a wagon with wood, iron rimmed wheels took so long to get there".

I returned from fishing yesterday via three planes, a twin prop Otter to a Boeing to a 15 hour ride in a double decker Airbus out of Dubai. A day and a half in the air plus two layovers. But I'm home in front of this computer rather than on a wooden sailing ship still in the Indian Ocean.

Travel time relatively amortized to fishing time is the logic I apply to this question.

And your fishing report is where? ...

I know a guy who leaves LA at 4am driving solo, and is fishing the eastern Sierra by 9am; he knocks off at 4pm and is back home by 9pm. I would find that exhausting, but to each their own.
    I haven't done that recently.

I must be getting old.

:-D

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123