View Poll Results: What is the Best Blank Material for Small Stream Trout Fishing?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Graphite

6 33.33%
  • Fiberglass

9 50.00%
  • Bamboo

3 16.67%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the Best Blank Material for a Small Stream Trout Rod?

Default What is the Best Blank Material for a Small Stream Trout Rod?

What do you think is the best blank material for small stream trout fishing?

Let's say that it's steep gradient, wooded, tight quarters; with 7'6" being the maximum practical rod length and that we're talking, primarily pocket water with an occasional riffle and a very occasional run or decent sized pool. Usual casting distances of 40 ft. or less. Fish on average in the size range of 8-14 inches. Let's also say that the vast majority of the fishing will be done with dry flies.

So, here are the choices as I see them at this point:

a. Graphite

b. Fiberglass

c. Bamboo

d. Other

I'm being tempted to try a bamboo rod for this type of fishing; which is the type of fishing that I do most of the time, and I'd like to get the input of this forum before I take that step.

Thanks,

Pocono

Default Re: What is the Best Blank Material for a Small Stream Trout Rod?

A resounding, "YES!!!" I would fish ALL those rods, in your "provisional conditions" and have a heck of a good time! The only BEST I can see is what you have in your hand at that particular time! Go! Enjoy!!

I've owned all three, and they all work well. It's a personal thing.

Personally, I like bamboo, but it doesn't mean it fishes better. It's the only one of the three that was once alive and that is appealing. It also has the loving care of the maker to build it.

Glass has a nice soft action for small streams, and graphite can too in the right action. They don't seem to have the soul of bamboo though.

My opinion only.

For bigger waters I like graphite, but small streams are special.

Looks like my plan is working.

I'm a fiberglass fan for small streams.
    Not only for the slow casting action, but also for the toughness factor
    Fiberglass rods are nearly unbreakable and many are quite inexpensive
    I have four glass rods 7' or less

My favorite is a early 60's vintage 6'6" Wright & McGill Featherweight
    It's rated for a 5wt line but actually fishes best with a DT4
    This rod will load with only 2' of line out.

The newest one is it's modern 'equivalent'.
    A 7' Eagle Claw Feather Weight that I like with a DT6
    I recently picked it up at W*lmart at a close-out price of $9
    You might think at a price like that these rods would be dogs, but it casts surprisingly well.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

Hi Pocono,

I think what is important is the action of the rod not what it was made from. Small streams are ideal for slow action rods so you can make short cast with ease. So I would choose a slow or medium action rod. I say that but in fact I don't like slow action rods. I use my Heddon Bamboo rod for many years and I just don't want to go back to that action.

So if I wanted a small stream rod I would consider the St Croix Avid or Scott G2 or the TFO Finesse rods. Oops, I forgot about Winston. They have got to have some sweet small stream rods.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
    Hi Pocono,

I think what is important is the action of the rod not what it was made from. Small streams are ideal for slow action rods so you can make short cast with ease. So I would choose a slow or medium action rod. I say that but in fact I don't like slow action rods. I use my Heddon Bamboo rod for many years and I just don't want to go back to that action.

So if I wanted a small stream rod I would consider the St Croix Avid or Scott G2 or the TFO Finesse rods. Oops, I forgot about Winston. They have got to have some sweet small stream rods.

Frank
    Heddons are on the slow side Frank. As i'm sure you know. There are some nice crisp faster action cane rods that are heaven on small streams. The Payne 101 taper comes to mind. I have a clone of that rod and it throws nice tight loops.

8. Default Re: What is the Best Blank Material for a Small Stream Trout Rod?

Poc....you know I am going to root for Glass. Steffen for "S" fast...er or McFarland or Lami for "E" slower.

The surrounding sound a little brutal, I would chance my glass more than a boo, specially because of the price difference.
    However, the Highland Mills bamboo is a sweet little stick and a price less than allot of Graphite these days.
    Cabela's -- Highland Mills Bamboo Fly Rods

I had the 7' three piece 4 weight and it was a perfect stream rod.

I am having a 5 weight built and I test run the 101. Tough choice but I went with the 98.

If you want to know where to get a Highland Mills cane rod for $150. Let me know. Any model. Brand new.

10. Default Re: What is the Best Blank Material for a Small Stream Trout Rod?

Wow! one heck of a source there Old Man....right on. The one I had was very nice. Light weight and enough back bone to cast nymphs.
    Thanks for stepping up with a deal like that.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast