Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Buy That Premium Rod or Reel W/O Pain

Default How to Buy That Premium Rod or Reel W/O Pain

Many people posted that they couldn't afford a premium rod or reel in the
    several threads regarding their value. I would offer the same advise I give
    to my son, nieces and nephews, and even my wife:
    1. If you smoke, stop, and put that money in a jar.
    2. If you buy Starbucks, stop, and put that money in a jar.
    3. If you snack, stop, and put that money in a jar.
    4. If you have a dollar in your pocket, put that money in a jar.
    5. Put money in a jar on a daily basis.

If you only put $1/day in a jar, you can buy a premium reel and line for
    Christmas 2009. $2/day will get you the best rod from Sage, Winston, Orvis,
    by December. When my son joined the USAF 2 1/2 years ago, I suddenly found myself not having to give him $5 here and there, and started stuffing
    it in the mattress (a home safe, actually), and during that time, the savings
    really added up to quite a bit!

My wife and I make a decent wage, but we can go off budget and spend
    everything we make during the year. These past two years we've really
    enjoyed staying on budget, and were able to buy some really nice stuff.
    During the first two weeks of January 2008, my wife and I wrote down everything we spent over $1 on a piece of paper. It was amazing to see how fast $5 and $10 can add up to several hundred dollars! I began deciding what
    to have for dinner based on what was on sale at the local supermarket. We
    use a bonus club card at the grocery store, and it keeps a record of your savings for the calendar year. We saved over $1,100 in food for 2008! Yeah,
    my wife wanted London Broil when chicken was on sale, but she caught on
    quickly enough: she doesn't cook...LOL!!!!

So there you go....no excuses not to have what you want at the end of this
    year !

2. Default Re: How to Buy That Premium Rod or Reel W/O Pain

Dang good tips, I throw my change in a jug at the end of every day, it may be .10 or 1.00 or even 2.00 in change and it adds up pretty fast. I guess it would really add up if instead of bying a soda at the gas station I put that 1.50 in the jug as well.
    Bear

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to Buy That Premium Rod or Reel W/O Pain

Frank: Excellent advice, especially the part of staying on budget!

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
    Dang good tips, I throw my change in a jug at the end of every day, it may be .10 or 1.00 or even 2.00 in change and it adds up pretty fast. I guess it would really add up if instead of bying a soda at the gas station I put that 1.50 in the jug as well.
    Bear
    We have two "Piggy banks"; one downstairs and one upstairs (the one downstairs is actually a mini baked bean crock; the one upstairs is an honest to goodness piggy bank). They both fill up quickly!

I haven't labelled them exclusively for fly fishing - yet. But that's a very good idea.

5. Default Re: How to Buy That Premium Rod or Reel W/O Pain

nice tip. i hate using change at the store, so at the end of the day i put all my loose change and dollar bills in an old fish bowl. it adds up nice. one year i bought my wife a new set of a/t tires for her jeep commander, and we all know how much they are. next time it will be a premium 1wt set up for me!

6. Default Re: How to Buy That Premium Rod or Reel W/O Pain

Excellent Advice!

I am sick and tired of people saying that they can't afford things when these same people are tossing town a six pack every night, running up massive cell phone bills and going through two or three packs of cig's a day.

Making a few SMALL sacrifices here and there affords us some very nice things in life. My wife and I both put ourselves through school, worked hard, put in those extra hours, made our own way and--as hard as it was at times--traded some brief moments of fun for much larger long term benefits.

Now we live fairly comfortably, have a few of the nicer things life has to offer and are able to sit back and enjoy a bit. But we still clip coupons, still look for the best deals, and still save money for the things we want.

Again, VERY well said!

Very good advice, I always throw my change in a coffee can on my dresser. It does add up.

Blog Entries

I am so happy to see that other people still do this - stash away extra cash and actually SAVE for something. I am right in there with you all. I take out a little cash each week for my "spending" money and whatever is left over goes in a jar in my basement. My wife knows about it. This is the beauty. If I want something, I buy it because I have the cash to afford it and I don't feel like I'm taking money away from other parts of our budget. It might take me three or four months to save up enough for a new reel or something, but that time is made all the more pleasurable because I get to go to the fly shop and test drive stuff or go online and dream about the day I actually get a new toy. I am on a teacher's salary, which isn't poor by any means, but we do have to watch our spending. This allows me to fish guilt free with no big credit card bills.

I wish my fishing buddies would do the same thing. When they go out to lunch, I brown bag it and save the money for my fishing expenses. Then they complain because their drag isn't sensitive enough and they keep breaking off tippet.

Thanks Frank, for reminding us all about what should be common sense in every aspect of our lives.

My wife and I have a dollar jar. Any time we get home form eating or shopping we put all our one dollar bills in the jar. It is a shock at first when you wife keeps asking if I have any one dollar bills but eventually I got use to it. It is a surprising fast way to save money for anything. When you throw in the change that collects on the dresser it is a reasonable amount of money saved.

I believe Feather-Craft has a lay away plan. That is they use to have one. I don't know if it is still available. I think they give you six months to pay off the balance with six payments.

Frank

10. Default Re: How to Buy That Premium Rod or Reel W/O Pain

Good tips. It's amazing how much money you can save without any major lifestyle changes, but just by watching the little things. The big one for me was realizing what I could save if I started making my coffee at home instead of paying $2 at the local shop. $10 a week for a year can get you a pretty decent rig by Christmas (and now that I don't drink coffee every day, even better).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast