Thread: Davie McPhail Ties a Rusty Rat in 2 Minutes

Default Davie McPhail Ties a Rusty Rat in 2 Minutes

Davie is always reminding people to take their time tying, but decided to go for speed here (My thread title should have read 3 minutes):
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj7szT7qOYs]YouTube - Tying a 3 minute Rusty Rat with Davie McPhail[/ame]

In music, it's often best to practice slowly in order to acheive speed. Davie is proof that this works, and there isn't a single wasted motion that I can see. I
    do enjoy taking my time, but have learned quite a bit from Davie's very deliberate tying videos.

Default Re: Davie McPhail Ties a Rusty Rat in 2 Minutes

Thanks for that Frank. I love watching him tie. He always has more room for a head than any tier I've seen yet all of his proportions look perfect.

That guy drives me nuts with how simple he makes everything look.

I've watched almost all of his videos and nothing has been as easy as he makes it look.

4. Default

I swear every time I watch that guy in some places it looks as if he is using three hands. Either way he is amazing.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Thumbs up Re: Davie McPhail Ties a Rusty Rat in 2 Minutes

Not a U-tube fan, but there is one exception .. Davie's ties. E mail in-box goes BING and I'm off for a mental coffee break.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Agree with everybody about Davie's skill. I think he does the best "how to tie" videos out there. I've learned much from watching them, especially about various shrimp/prawn style patterns.
    Gary

Thanks Frank; nice video. Whatever that guy ties, it always comes out looking either perfect or pretty close to it.

Pocono

Hi Guys,
    I have to say that after watching Davie tie just a few flies, my thread wraps dropped off dramatically. I no longer tie in tail fibers with a randomly chosen number of wraps, and try to limit myself to the absolute minimum. My flies hold up just as well as when I used more thread, and that was my only concern with less wraps.

Davie is an awesome tyer. I have always enjoyed watching his videos. It must be nice to be that good. He does make it look easy. Something tells me he spent a tremendous time at the vise honing his skills, and now he is reaping the rewards.
    As long as I get a bite, I don't want to leave!