Glitter Bear

gt05254

Reaction score
Here's a flashier version of the Black Bear GreenButt salmon fly, the Glitter Bear, designed by Bill Taylor of the Atlantic Salmon Federation. It is tied for both low and normal/high water. It has been my most effective pattern on the Miramichi during the summer months.

Tag: Oval silver tinsel (sized to suit hook size) and flourescent green/chartreuse floss. I am very partial to Gordon Griffiths floss.

Tail: Golden pheasant crest

Body: Peacock herl (I've been tying it with "peacock" ice dubbing loop dubbed as well)

Rib: oval silver tinsel (again, sized to suit hook size)

Throat: black hackle fibers (I usually use Whiting's hen neck for the throat, but lately have started using ringneck pheasant dyed black. It has a really neat greenish sheen to it that suits the fly very well)

Wing: 6-8 strands of your "flash du jour", over which is black bear, or, in my ties, black squirrel. (some day I'm going to figure out how to dye polar bear black and try that).
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow! Very nice work, I can see where you would have success with that fly, makes me want to go salmon fishing!

Larry

gt05254

Reaction score
Larry - its a great, great way to spend time on a river! But, they're not called the "fish of one thousand casts" for nothing. Also, salmon flies are really nice to tie, especially since I don't have to tie anything down below a #10!
Go for it!
Gary

gt05254

Reaction score
Certainly worth a try! That fly loves to swim on clear days when the sun can really make it shine.
Gary

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
Gary another very nice looking pattern, I have just got my hands on some similar hooks, so I will give this one a go.....maybe not in high water though :)

Chris