RipTide Rods and Reels

axle27

Reaction score
Anyone ever used either of them?

I've put off the 7 or 8wt search until next year. Money being short and all. If you've bother to look at any of my latest threads, I was looking for a light saltwater rod.

Although I will probably change my mind before then, but I think I might go with a 7wt rod/reel and a multi-tip for lakes/large rivers and light saltwater.
The 9wt will be next.

Right now, I've got my eyes on a Teeny Mini-tip for my streamers.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Sorry, I haven't heard of Riptide products. But you may want to look at some of the price pointed products from some of the major players.

A rod series that impressed me was the Winston Vapor. I casted a 6 and an 8 weight. These are fast loading rods, but not uber fast like a Winston BIIMX. What surprised me about these rods is that they didn't have the dreaded "tip bounce" that many of the price point rods have.

I casted both rods with their respective line weights and overlined. The 6 weight handled the tuft of yarn easily. If I was throwing bigger flies (like streamers), I'd upline it to a 7 weight line to bend it further down the blank. The 8 weight rod could cast its respective line easily, but it was more fun overlined with a 290 grain Sage Bass Taper line.

I imagine that the 7 weight Vapors might cast similarly to the 6 and the 8 weights.

MP

pdq 5oh

Reaction score
A friend and I went to our local favorite. He was looking for a steelhead rod and ended up with a Vapor (10', 7 wt). I got to cast it before he decided. It was very nice; easy casting. The tip is a bit stiffer than my 7 wt SLT. I liked it pretty well. The tube and sock are much nicer than most rods at their price point, if that matters. The shop has them for 20% off. And the price was below many others to begin with.
www.backpackersshop.com