Bass Fishing Favorite type of Fly ??

tie one on

Reaction score
Good day to All,

Was just wondering what type of fly you go to to fish for bass,
whether smallies, or largemouth ?

Do you like a particular popper pattern ?

Do you like using a particular "nymph type" that
just looks really "buggy" & moves a lot of water
to attact attention ?

Bass season starts soon here in Michigan & I will be
trying out a new one I tied this past winter. I call it
"The Black Widow". It's tied it on a #6 streamer with
lots of black rubber legs, black chenile, black saddle
hackle, more black rubber & larger head painted with
black fingernail polish & white painted eyes.

I also plan on trying some larger floating bass poppers
on my 9 weight, especially after reading an article
about various 9 weight rods being tested throwing
bass poppers. Anyone else use this size rod for
poppers ?

Tie One On

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
I think my favorite is the Muddler Minnow. I like the way it flows through the water.

And of course, a woolly bugger will catch just about anything.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry

BigCliff

Reaction score
I pretty well just use foam poppers, dahlberg diver type flies, rabbit strips, and clousers for bass. By rabbit strips I mean pretty much anything with a zonker strip on it- redneck rabbits, kiwi muddlers, boufaces, bunny leeches, you name it. Flies with rabbit strips and or rubber legs work well on bass.

On the 9 wt thing, I pretty well only fish flies for bass that require use of a 9wt at night, so that the bass can find them in the dark. I tie smaller dahlbergs that can be thrown on a 6wt, about 3/4" in total diameter. These imitate smaller frogs which are a major food source for bass in most areas. Also- don't assume they are green, these frogs are often tan and most all frogs/toads have a pale belly. Tan/natural deer hair with grizzly saddle hackle tails and pearl krystal flash out the rump is a killer combo. A size 4 hook will be about right for the flies i'm talking about; normal hooks like a mustad 3366, not "stinger hooks".

For smallmouth, clousers are hard to beat.

MikeLove

Reaction score
Hello all, Bass fishing is on now for me and I guess I catch more on the Clouser deep running minnow , the deceiver when they feed on top along with the yellow popper.. makes me want take off work and go to the pond just talking about it......:frogdance

Chris Hewett

Reaction score
a 9 wt is my preferred bass rod.
small poppers or deer hair bugs on top are my favorites. They are not the most effective but they are the most fun for me.

Jakeway

Reaction score
I use a 7 wt mostly, with a 6 wt on smaller waters or smaller flies.

I've actually had the best luck with Dahlberg Divers in Yellow Perch color, or an olive Wooly Bugger. I occasionally use an orange or white hair popper, but it seems like as soon as I switch to the Diver, I catch more fish. I think it's the way the bug dives under when you strip, then floats to the surface like a dying critter.

I also have been having the best luck on bluegills with a #12 Olive Bead Head Wooly Bugger, and sometimes get bass or crappie on it while fishing for bluegills.

What part of Michigan do you fish? I grew up between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo, and still take trips to fish in lakes near Cadillac or Indian River.

tie one on

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input.

Jakeway, I live in Ada, MI. It is a small village
just east of GR.

What is a Dahlberg Diver ?
Does anyone have a pattern, or picture ?

Have a great Holiday weekend,

Tie One On