Instructions needed...Converting a 1492 medalist to LH retrieve

Cool Hand Hodge

Reaction score
I know that your not supposed to be able to do this, but ive known people to do it in the past. I cant for the life of me figure out how! I need some help!!!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Cool hand,

I have one and have pondered this myself. As nearly as I can remember (the reel is in Colorado) you should be able to carefully drill the frame rims and tap them. After that little adventure you can switch the line guard so that it is appropriate for left hand wind. As far as drag tinkering, help me out here, are they just a spring and pawl or does it have the little brake shoe type? I havent used mine for years.

Ard

Cool Hand Hodge

Reaction score
The 1492 is just the spring and pawl...no brake. Out of the box its easy in, hard out...we need to reverse that. I know i have seen it done and its fairly simple...just cant figure it out

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
All you need to do is flip the pawls. I mentioned it in your earlier post.

To be more descriptive, here we go. You should notice one pawl pointed up or down and the other pawl pointed to the center of the reel. For the pawl that is pointed up or down, flip it to make it point to the center. For the pawl that is facing toward the center, point that up or down.

I do not have a 1492 in front of me. I am doing this by memory. If you have the reel frame facing you, the pawl on the left should be pointing to the center. The pawl on the right should be pointing up or down. This should be the setting for left hand retrieve.

MP

Last edited:

sandfly

Reaction score
why ruin a older one, just buy a lefty off of e-bay...I love the older ones and can't see modifing it unless its the foot to fit the new seats.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
why ruin a older one, just buy a lefty off of e-bay...
The smaller models (1492 & 1492 1/2) don't come in 'lefty' and the click/pawl drag is not easily convertible like the larger models with the brake shoe drag

Medalist 1400 reels give the same incredible performance at a fraction of the cost of high-end models. The precision-engineered aluminum alloy frame and quick-release spool features a rich, non-reflective black finish. The externally mounted adjustable drag (models 1492 and 1492-1/2 excluded) lets you quickly match your fish-fighting needs. Converts to left- or right-hand retrieve (except 1492 and 1492-1/2).