Wood Grips

bojonjovi

Reaction score
I am planning on building a couple new rods 4/5wt 8feet and 7.5 feet. I have ordered some cork grips then I saw a wood grip that looked very cool but I thought it would unbalance a light weight rod. Then I started thinking about light weight woods. Of course balsa comes to mind but it is very fragil, then I thought about aspen and thought that might work. Just curious if anyone has tried wood grips or if it a bad idea all together. I know during World War 11 rods came with wood handles due to cork shortage. Any thoughts on the subject?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Gary Anderson is a custom rod builder based out of Southern Oregon. He makes some of the most beautiful rods that I have ever seen. Gary is known for making grips from wood and different types of cork. Check out his website for pictures of his work.

MP

Auntie Em

Reaction score
One of my favorite grips was crafted by a friend from birch bark. Beautiful, light weight, non-slip! Plus, it warms in your hand!

bojonjovi

Reaction score
I had not thought of bark. Hmm I thought I smelled something burning but I must have been thinking.

Auntie Em

Reaction score
Yep, small-ist circles of flat bark, glued up, and shaped to fit! Finished off with varnish. Absolutely beautiful.

Do we need to call the fire department??:eek:

304rodco

Reaction score
I have made several wood grips. I have used cherry and spalted maple mostly. I haven't weighed them, but I doubt there is a huge weight difference.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Gary Anderson is a custom rod builder based out of Southern Oregon. He makes some of the most beautiful rods that I have ever seen. Gary is known for making grips from wood and different types of cork. Check out his website for pictures of his work.

MP
Have one of those on my Anderson 5wt 2-hander. I think he called it a 'Cobra Hood.' Sweet stick bye the bye for summer run fishing. Long/light enough for small Steelhead (our usual:eek:) but if you hook one of our October 'B-runs' it will meet the task of a 10#'er.

fae

Edit: Random thought here only as the full wood handled rods above are BEAUTIFUL! But wouldn't those be pretty slippery when wet?

304rodco

Reaction score
Thanks all. As far as being slippery, I don't notice any problem with wood. In fact, I don't really notice the wood grips, one way or the other, which is a good thing. They are very cheap too. Mine came out of the firewood pile.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Lee, your wood handles are beautiful!

I have never given second thought to the grip on my rods, cork was what they alway were except an old rattan wrap on an ancient cane rod. You must have an interesting firewood pile.

Auntie Em,

I would like to see a picture of the birch bark handles if you have one, they sound different also.

Ard

Jackster

Reaction score
Wouldn't wood be slick, especially when wet either through rain or perspiration? I really like the looks of wood but the practicality just seems lacking.

Auntie Em

Reaction score
I have a full wood reel seat/grip on a few banty boo rods. Have never experienced them feeling slippery. The birch bark grip has never felt slippery either, and has the added grace of holding warmth from my hand as I cast. It's on a 7'6"-5#. And have I said, "I love it!"

As in mojo's post ... they do look really strange during the glue up phase, but when you remove anything that doesn't look like a grip :)rolleyes:) in the shaping, it does turn out beautiful! Mine is a full BB grip ... will try to get some pictures of it for you.

MacFly55

Reaction score
wow.... that is some awesome looking work on all of it....wish I knew how to work a wood lathe.. :eek:

MacFly :cool:

bojonjovi

Reaction score
The birch bark is beautiful. Here in the southwest, birch is uncommon. However, one of my buddies is a wood carver and many of the carvers use cottonwood bark. A quick search revealed that cottonwood is a preferred bark among carvers. I might try to make a cottonwood bark grip and see what happens. I suspect I would glue up rounds. I am thinking glued up rounds would probably offer the most stability.

I talked to my buddy about cottonwood bark and he felt it would be to soft and absorb water, then he said it is kinda like cork; don't figure. I was kayaking yesterday and found a couple large chunks of cottonwood bark. I will let them dry out and experiment a little bit. Otherwise I think I think I will probably try some wood grips.

Last edited: