coastal rivers

thonyb

Reaction score
hi all in oregon. hey, the coastal streams are getting good runs of steelhead. went out last weekend and people were pulling them out (three rivers hatchery). From what i saw there was alot of hatchery fish. i havent seen any wild ones yet (tillamook area). i also have not seen them in the mountains yet. but have seen alot more people higher. i thought it would be cool if we started posting killer patterns and where the fish is moving up. I would post some patterns that are working, but haven't gotten anything:) its hard to compete with real eggs and 20lb weight:(

thonyb

Reaction score
going again tomorrow let you guys know how it works out. i think im going to go with some..... corn, wd40, some real salmon eggs.... getting desperate.lol.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Thonyb,

If you see others catching fish make a mental note of where the fish are caught. Those are the spots the fish are passing or holding in. Most of the time you will find a hole or obstruction that offers resting water. Other fish will use those same spots. Next time you go try and target some of those places. If others are catching them with heavy gear that means you need to get your fly down close to the bottom.

Frank

thonyb

Reaction score
thanks for the tip frank. went out yesterday and nothing. i knew it was too nice of a day to catch anything. the river is low and clear. going again tomorrow, down by lincoln city. suppose to start raining Wednesday. Next weekend might be better. I was down at the boat launch around hebo. the drift boats coming in had a few. These fish were small and they were obviously hatchery. they are in the rivers. i have been throwing out lots of pink and orange patterns. People (fly fishers) that are from the coast have been using wooly buggers and black egg sucking leeches with the pink head. torn between using what local people uses or what the guides use on the river. what would you guys use?

thonyb

Reaction score
went again. hiked for hours with my polarized sunglasses nothing. when you go steelheading does it ever feel like your snipe hunting? Starting to think this is all some conspiracy..... there is no such thing. I think people just want me to buy expensive flies.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Fyshing for steelhead isn't easy. A friend of mine who is very experienced with chasing them hasn't touched one in two years now. That's steelheading for ya. :D

I'm afraid that when I do get my first one to hand I'm going to end up being an emotional wreck. I'll probably need a few minutes alone to regain my composure. there is just something about steelhead that gets to me.

thonyb

Reaction score
alright rain! Checked the river flow the river is going up two ft:) should be plenty of water for them to move. The water going to be cold with a little color. i think im going to swing something big and buggy (pink and or orange). Anyone have have any suggestions? I have not got many replies and thank you for those that did reply. I hope this is helping someone in my area. I know i had tons of questions about what to use and what conditions are best. Thought i kind of do a personal blog about my thoughts and accounts of my pursuit for an elusive fish. so far i dont have much to show for it. so maybe do what im not doing.lol. for those heading out this weekend good luck and tight lines.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I hear any color will work, as long as it's 'purple'. :D
Atleast that's what the group last year at Steelhead Camp kept saying. According to them purple is the most consistent color year after year on the Salmon River(Idaho).

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Thony, The key is to keep getting out there, don't get discouraged...If the water is running high, swing some big dark nasties...:D Fysh mentioned Purple...Can't go wrong with a fly that has purple in it; black or blue either for that matter...If you tye, make up some Intruders, a nice black with purple or blue flash should work for you...Go get em!

Dan