Getting started

olivebugger

Reaction score
April 7 2007 while on special regulation trout waters we caught 13 trout. I caught my half after falling on ice covered rocks and snapping my rod, the one I LOVED. I vowed that day to start fly fishing, because if I had to buy a new rod make it a FLY ROD. I went to the local shop that night and got set up with the basics. Today I had my first trout on and of course blew it. That all leads us here to, what I need for tying. All I want is what I need and nothing more. I have no need for fancy things I cant use. Price is not important at all. By that I mean that I will buy cheap if I can but if exspensive is needed then thats what I will get. I will be fishing for trout in SW PA and West Virginia. WV is all rainbows and SW PA is brookies and Browns. Local fly man say woolly bugger, blue winged olive and egg patterns will catch me lots of fish if I do my part. So what do I need to get started tying? :frogdance Thanks in advance.

Fishplease

Reaction score
Well, I have the white river fly tying kit, but its, eh.
So I suggest a Cabela's beginner fly tying kit. My friend got one, and man did it have a TON of materials. Which is important for beginners, as you will mess a few up. And yes, those patterns DO catch fish. Especially white wooly buggers for browns. :p

Cabela's Tying Kits with Vise and Tools

schrob

Reaction score
Take a beginners tying class from anywhere you can. If you like it then you can get into buying the things you need. Tying flies isn't for everybody.