Snook on fly

tbrillinger223

Reaction score
went out last night in the north bay (biscayne bay)for snook. found a few docks that were holding some decent numbers, hooked up three times but couldnt boat them. found a dock that was holding a few "juvey" tarpon, managed to pick up a 15-20 pounder wrestled with him for about 10 min before he wore through the leader (20 lb tapered). caught a few trout. no keepers. had a great time. My guide buddy is hooked on fly fishing now, seeing a decent sized snook rise out of the darkness to hit a fly was mezmorizing to him last night.

..." Dude...I am not happy with you, that was awsome.. I have never seen a snook turn like that and suck in a bait that fast... now I am going to have to get into flyfishing, this means the rod reel, blah blah.... man you really suck" as quoted by Mark Frankel of Gettin Tail Charters

Fly Guyusa

Reaction score
Use Mason mono or Fluorocarbon 30# as a shock tippet. A loop knot will give the fly better action. What pattern and size were you using?

tbrillinger223

Reaction score
Use Mason mono or Fluorocarbon 30# as a shock tippet. A loop knot will give the fly better action. What pattern and size were you using?
Flyguy,

I learned my lesson on this matter. I use 30# PLINE or suffix (the same when I stray away from the pure and pick up my spinning). Since I posted this I have landed a few decent snook and tarpon on our "hot docks", and trout on the flats. As far as the pattern it was a creation I came up with that looks a pilchard. the size varies from a #4 up to a 1/0

I will post a pic of it this afternoon.

bonefish41

Reaction score
TB

Look at Gamma Deep Blue saltwater tippet their 80 is .027 60 is.023 50 is .021 in.

tbrillinger223

Reaction score
thanks for the insight bonefish41. I have to be careful how "large" I go, these fish are very spooky. I have found anything over 40 they get very very hesitant even with livies.

bonefish41

Reaction score
thanks for the insight bonefish41. I have to be careful how "large" I go, these fish are very spooky. I have found anything over 40 they get very very hesitant even with livies.
T...eg i also use rio's hard saltwater mono in lieu of mason as mason is somewhat irregular in test at least last year...their 33 is .027 and deep blue's 80 is the same ...their 22 lb is .021 which equals deep blue 50; both brands are IGFA kilo tested