Ad"vice" on a new "vice"

Chris Mason

Reaction score
I have read the other posts on this forum concerning recommendation on which vise to buy, but I still have questions.
I currently have an older Renzetti Travelor vice at least 12 years old. It is starting to rust on some of the black metal parts and the "o" ring and thumb screw locking mechanism doesn't seem to lock the hook in tight enough for my likes.
I think it is time for a new vice! and I need to tell my wife an idea for my b-day comming up. I am really interested in the Regal/w base model.
Does anyone have experience with the Regal vices? Do you recommend other vices instead? and what is your reasoning for this recommendation?

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi gvollmer,

The Regal is a good vice. It is very quick to clamp the hook and is handy if you are tying a bunch of flies. How ever it is not a good rotary vice. The new Renzetti vices that use the lever to operate the vice jaws are quite handy also. The Renzetti Presentation Cam 2000 is a vice I can recommend. It has good jaws that are easy to operate and cover a wide range of hooks. The rotary feature is very handy. The only negative is it is not a ball bearing design. Check one out

Frank

Renzetti Presentation Cam 2000

slatedrake

Reaction score
As with any purchase there are trade-offs in function. You must decide what is important to you. Are you going to be tying complicated flies that require the rotary features of a Renzetti? If so, then that's probably what you should get. For me, speed and durability is more important. I have been using a Regal vise for the last 25 years and it still looks like the day I bought it. Again, it really depends on your preference and how complicated your flies are. :)

BigCliff

Reaction score
In case your heart skipped a beat when you saw the price of the Renzetti Presentation, I'd consider the Cam Traveler version. I bet you could tie half a million dollars worth of flies before wearing the thing out, and its priced pretty close to the "better" vices out there.

I still wish I had bought one instead of my Dan-Vise 7yrs ago, but then again, my Dan-Vise is still going strong.

aroostookbasser

Reaction score
Quoting Slatedrake .........."Are you going to be tying complicated flies that require the rotary features of a Renzetti? "

Dude anyone that ties anything can benefit fromn the speed of the rotary vices. The simplification of all the tying steps by having more control over thread placement and tension. Not to mention the ability to tye both sides of a fly evenly. It's invaluable for laying out the ribbing or floss on evenly on all flies. In this day and age I'ld say it has to be a rotary. That would be like going out to buy a new phone and insisting on a corded over a cordless. Why tangle yourself in the past..move forward.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Well, the one undeniable disadvantage of a rotary vise is accessibility to the rear of the fly. (assuming its pointing to your right) With a Regal or other "trout fly" type vise, you don't have to work your left hand around the vise as much to get at the fly. (assuming you've got the thing pointed up)

That being said, I agree that the advantages of a rotary greatly outweigh the disadvantages.

Chris Mason

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice so far on this topic. My Renzetti travelor seems to be worn out. the screw to hold the main vertical shaft in the base no longer holds it "tight" from rotating. I always seem to be playing with the rotary handle's locking nuts and obviously the thumb screw jaw locking mechanism is starting to wear out and not holding the fly tight.
At this point in my tying career, I will never tie 3 dozen of flies in an hour. I tie to spend some quality "me" time with basic patterns, not for mass production. I pretty much only use the rotary feature to turn the fly over or on its side to get a better angle, view or to trim. I don't know if I will ever use the rotary aspect to "zip" thru a hackle or a body application????? I think the ability to see the fly from all sides is all I need.
I guess I am just concerned about the durability of the Renzetti and I also like to try new things? Are the new Renzettis' built any better today? Is anyone having issues with slipping of flies, the verticle arm slipping in the base or the locking mechanism on the rotary arm?

aroostookbasser

Reaction score
The video says it all !!!!!!! Notice if you will..he whip finishes with his fingers!!!

Yes you may not tye a dozen flies an hour or a hundred a month. The rotary vices just simplify the redundant tasks of tying. Allowing you more time to be creative and adding more precision to the "tying" part of each fly.

Chris Mason

Reaction score
Frank I appreciate the video link and I understand its benefits. I don't know if I am really interested in the Nor-vise, due to price and having to mount it to something in order to use the bobbin post. Also, this guy made it look "very" easy! From what I know this is the only vise that you can really perform the tasks like he was demostrating? Can you really just "spin" a Renzetti? I know I can't on mine. Don't get me wrong, I understand the benefits of a rotary vice. I guess since I asked for everyones experiences and opinions, it sounds like the majoritiy says Renzetti. As you know I already have one and have been very happy with it, I was just looking to possibly get something different, like the Regal, but it may just be a little old school and I think the Nor-Vise is a little too crazy for me and seems to take up more room than I would like. If there are any other opinions, I would love to hear them, I will probably be purchasing a new vice this weekend or next week. (New Renzetti cam 2000)

P.S. I would like to thank you personally Frank for your expertise and valuable information that you have provided me on all of my posts and all others on this forum, you really make this the number one resource on fly fishing!!!!!!

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
gvollmer,

Thanks for the kind words.

The Nor Vice and the Renzetti Master vice are the only two that I know about that you can spin. The Renzetti Master is way too expensive and the Nor Vice does not appeal to all. Another vice you might consider is the Dyna-King Barracuda. It is a good vise made with stainless steel and uses ball bearings. The jaws accept a wide range of hooks and holds them really tight.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the Renzetti Presentation Cam 2000. The articulated arm will allow a very precise adjustment placing the hook on the center line of the vice. Two things I dislike about the Renzetti vices is their use of aluminum and they don't have a ball bearing head, except for the Master. Keep in mind that I have never owned a Renzetti vice. The people who do use them seems to like them a lot.

Frank

Dyna-King Barracuda

troutbum

Reaction score
Although I have 2 rotary vices and love them,I dont recommend them to new fly tiers.My only reason for this is I believe the repitition and slower steps in traditional tying help to really hone one's skill.
Once I started to tie for a couple of fly shops I moved over to a rotary and never looked back.I must say, for tricky flies that I dont tie often or when creating a fly I always use a standard vice.
Tight Lines
aaron

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi aron,

There may be something to what you say but any rotary vice becomes a standard vice if you lock it down. Most will agree the rotary vice has advantages. If a beginner bought a standard vice it would only be a short time and they will be wanting a rotary vice. I recommend that people buy the best vice they can afford and bypass the cheaper non-rotary vices.

Frank

troutbum

Reaction score
Now that I think about it,Thats a good peice of advise.My fault is that I am one of those"old school" type of guy's that figure the best way to learn the basics is the way I did.I realize that is not always the best way.
Tight Lines
Aaron

Chris Mason

Reaction score
Sorry about the delay in giving an update on my purchase. Last weekend I decided to buy the Regal Pedestal Vice - I thought about this for a while and listened to all opinions given. I really like the vice and it works great for me. On another note: I got the deal of a lifetime - Here is the breakdown. I went to Cabelas and decided to buy the Regal Pedestal vice, which was priced in the display cabinet for $250. I told then this is what I wanted and they went and got me a new one out of another cabinet still in the box. I then proceeded to the register and it rang up for $199.00 (for those of you that are wise to the regal pricing - this is the cost of the clamp only model) - they must have had the wrong barcode label on the box. I know I should have said something, but it was by birthday and I felt I deserved the break. Next I had a $75 gift card given by Cabelas when I bought Simms waiders and boots about a month ago. THEN the lady told me if I sign up for a Cabelas credit card I will get an additiona $65 off my purchase. So I did that and the $250 vice ended up costing me $60 plus tax!!!! It was a great day!

NOTE: I am the VP for a Credit Counseling company and I do not recommend signing up for store credit cards just to get the deal of the day, but I did this due to the amount saved and I WILL cancel the card immediately after I pay the bill!!!!!

Gene

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new vice and happened upon this thread shortly after registering. Wow, the Nor-Vise is quite a step up from my 22 year old POS vice. What could there be not to like about it? :confused: I like the auto-bobbin too. Sorry, but I just don't buy into the rational of a beginner would want to use a non-rotary. I know I sure would have wanted a rotary when I started!

BTW, Nor-Vise has all their videos on youtube, here:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

They convinced me. :cool:

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Gene,

Welcome to the forum. You will be spoiled by the Nor-Vise in no time. The new style of locking jaws are better than the ones I have. It does a fantastic job of tying flies with little effort. I especially like how easy it is to dub a body.

Frank

Gene

Reaction score
I'm already spolied from watching all the videos and just imagining how much more efficient tying will become! Yes, the dubbing demonstrations blew me away. :smile:

FISHN50

Reaction score
I started out tying with a Thompson "A" & used it until I saw a demo of a Rotary vise & had to have one so I got a Traveler. Then I watched that "Nor" Guy at the Somerset NJ Fly Fishing show & had to have it, As I sit here, 2 finger typing this, it's next to me on the bench under a pile of bags of feathers, fur, hooks etc. Alongside of it is my tying station with a Griffin rotary Vise all set up. It's one butt ugly vise but I like the way it rotates & i can get my hands around to the rear of the fly. I have never got the knack of tying anything but a streamer on the Nor Vise even though I watched the demo a few times. I'll give it a try again when i get into Streamer Mode & maybe try to tie something smaller on it. I would not advise the Nor for a beginner as it takes a different technique to tie on it...
i should spell it vice
Merry Christmas
Fishn50