New Rod and Reel

bruce m

Reaction score
I've been working so much that I've accumulated a bit of a slush fund for myself so I went and splurged on a new high end rod and reel. I bought the orvis 9' 5wt.helios rod with the mirage reel. I ordered it on fathers day (sale was about $200 off). They can keep their ties ;), don't tell my family I said that.
It arrived via the brown truck today and not a moment too soon. I have all next week off to try it out. Actually I was outside just now casting it on the lawn.....It just feels right.:D

Last edited:

fishingfly

Reaction score
That was a good trade. Hope you get to break it in and catch a few fish during your vacation. That combo is worthy of a lifetime of fish. What line is it spooled with?

bruce m

Reaction score
What line is it spooled with?
The reel came with the hydros trout taper but I spooled the hydros streamer sink tip on the spare spool.
After fishing this am I am more than very pleased with the whole set up, the rod is very powerful, I chose the flex tip, and easily handles the weighted nymphs I like to fish. It might be me just paying more attention to it but it seems to be dead spot on accurate, the fly seems to land exactly where I want it. Not to put down my now ex-everyday rod, mid range cabelas, but this is just head and shoulders above it.

Will it be seeing casts on the Beamoc system
Oh it absolutely will. Today it was on a lesser know river, the Mongoup river, and will also be used on the Neversink a whole lot as those two are my favorites. I wont hit the Beaverkill or Willowemoc during any kind of weekend or holiday as they both tend to attract to many on vacation. The Neversink is also a fabled river but I like to head into the "Neversink Unique Area" it tends to take the less committed fishermen out of the equation.

All hail the big brown truck.
I Do love that truck :D. Between the internet shopping and the brown truck I never need to go to the stores anymore, except the fly shops ofcourse ;).

Oh yeah forgot to mention I caught three brown, two about 10"-12" and on about 18", they are all fun on any rod and they lived to tell their kids about it.

Last edited:

jaybo41

Reaction score
Congratulations on your purchase, I hope you land a lot of fish and carve out many great memories with it. Getting new gear is always exciting, and especially so when it's high quality gear. Nothing wrong with mid range gear by any means, but a good high quality rod has the craftsmanship, R&D, warranty and most important the performance that many rods just don't have. Yes I know it's the caster and yes there are rods with lesser price tags that perform ideally for a given situation and many have tremendous warranties. I still think I notice a bit of a difference when casting a high quality rod. Maybe it's in my head, I dunno.

+1 on being a fan of the big brown truck. Knowing that thing is on its way and seeing it pull up in front of the house never gets old:D

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I have an Orvis Access 8 1/2 mid-flex that is a very good rod. It's presentation is excellent although I might give up a few feet in range, and that's OK since were I fish mostly is small'ish streams out there in southwest Virginia. It's very accurate also. I like Orvis rods myself,,very much. I have a tip flex 6wt from another manufacture that I take to our local lakes and the New River for smallie fishing.