I know I need a guide licensee but what else

rockhoppernc

Reaction score
Hello all,
Well I have been given the opportunity to organize and run small mouth fishing trips here in Asheville nc, the company is already established and I will be coming in and working with them. they are a LLC. and you sign a waver when you sent gear. my question is, I can get a guide license for $10 but do I need separate insurance or am I covered under the LLC. waver signed on renting equipment.
We will be using their gear but I will be leading a 1 to 3 boat group...
:frogdance
change of a life time for me and dont wont to mess this up.

thanks

littledavid123

Reaction score
Read the waver and any paper work from the company that a customer must sign. Next, show all paper work to a lawyer, leaving yourself vulnerable to a lawsuit is not something you take lightly. Yes you may not want to really know because it may mean passing on this opportunity, but do it anyway...:D

Dave

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Are you working as an independent guide or as a guide working for a licensed outfitter?

If you will be working as an independent guide, you will need to obtain your own license and insurance bond.

If you are going to be guiding under an outfitter's license, you will need to get your personal license. The outfitter's bond will cover you.

Keep in mind that policies vary from state to state.

Have you talked with the operator of the company to see what is required?

Have you talked with someone from the licensing board to see what will be required?

Dennis

Edit: As an independent guide, you will need your own business license since you will be a business owner.

Last edited:

rockhoppernc

Reaction score
Well I called the local fish and game and told them I was going to be working with a local LLC, and organizing and running trips, was told as long as I have a guide licensee($10) I was in the clear. :wiggle:
I will be working as a guide with the outfitters,
the fishing side will be all up to me and hope to do other trips in the area. also going to do private instruction for fly and non fly fishing,,,hell ya
going to give it my all and give it a shot

anyone know the going hourly rate for private instruction on fishing/fly fishing

jimw

Reaction score
:confused:You said you will be using boats. Do you need to be a USCG Capt License in fresh water?? I know it is a must for salt. Most the LMB guides in my area are licensed captains but most of our bass fishing is in tidal water.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Rockhopper,

It's been a long time since I've heard from you here. I think you should seek information from the outfit that you will be working through. Jim W. made a good point in that when operating a vessel for hire you must have proper licensing. Here (which is a long ways from you) a guide using a boat needs to have a TWIC card which is a Transportation Workers I identification Card issued through the Dept. of Homeland Security......... Yep, Homeland Security. After obtaining the TWIC you need to get your Merchant Mariners ie; Coast Guard credentials and you must be holding Red Cross CPR certification. After you have all of that you can begin to worry about insurance which is necessary before the state will issue the business license and guides permit. There are many other requirements and also a lot of common sense things that will follow getting into the business of being a guide. Although we tend to think of fishing as a simple and enjoyable thing to do, when you take others out for a fee you are accepting responsibility for more than their catching a few fish. Things can happen, especially when you are always in the company of strangers and you must be ready for any eventuality.

If things are not ran in such a stringent manner there in NC. then I would advise getting in before they catch up on all these regs. Pricing the instruction and fishing should be a matter of following the prices already being levied by the outfitter who you will be working through.

Good luck,

Ard

bocamike

Reaction score
Located in the western reaches of Boca Raton, Fl,
I think it prudent for you to research requirements in your state as regards the USCG license. Here in Florida for example, any boat operator in freshwater who has paying customers (for fishing in this case) must possess a USCG captain's license.

I'm not aware of any such boat operator being stopped by law enforcement and asked to show that license, but I imagine there could be a liability issue with your insurance company in case of an accident or injury claim.

I would play it safe and check out all angles.

L

Liphookedau

Even though I'm not in the US,lots of our laws are usually universal as laws everywhere are really offshoots of someone elses with additions.
As mentioned it usually becomes a different Ballgame over here & in the US after reading info on different sites,such as Ard has posted & talking to Guides,Lodge Owners & others as a point of intererest when you start taking paying Customers.
My advise is as others have mentioned is to check out,which apparently you have done some of,all the info for Regulations,Necessary requirments needed,all which will cost you,as it doesn't matter where you live,or what country nothing is free anymore.
I would keep 2 folders,in case 1 gets Damaged,Destroyed,Burned etc,with all your info so you can check if needed.
I don't know about The US however over here Licences,First Aid Qualifications etc,have to be displayed & periodically updated & renewed,another way to be Fleeced,also to keep up with changes.
So The Bottom Line is make sure you get all your info,Licences,Insurances etc,etc,etc,ask heaps of questions that's what certain poeople get paid to do & make sure you are covered 100%.
Good Luck
Brian

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it prudent for you to research requirements in your state as regards the USCG license. Here in Florida for example, any boat operator in freshwater who has paying customers (for fishing in this case) must possess a USCG captain's license.

I'm not aware of any such boat operator being stopped by law enforcement and asked to show that license, but I imagine there could be a liability issue with your insurance company in case of an accident or injury claim.

I would play it safe and check out all angles.
Our Fish & Game Troopers are on patrol far and wide. When they come up a river they will check almost everyone using a boat. The rules are that you carry the basics; fire extinguisher, flares, an air horn, and you must have a flotation device on a throw line handy. Once you place the 'Guide' stickers on your boat the troopers will check you. Besides all the basic requirements you must have a USCG type 1 flotation vest for or on everyone on board, this is not the PFD they sell for pleasure boating but the Marine issue type 1. We also have to keep a log book and have it ready for inspection along with your Mariner's license, fishing license, and boats registration papers.........

There is a whole lot more to owning / running a fishing business here than many ever realize until you start one up. :)

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I was told that a USCG captain's license is necessary for motorized boats 16 feet or larger in freshwater. You may want to check on that.

As for private instruction:
Casting with a certified FFF instructor can range $80-$100 per hour.
Casting with a non-certified instructor starts around $50 an hour. At least that is what I charged when I worked at a fly shop.

Dennis

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Excellent feed back in this thread, but I think these few lines from Ard sum up the whole business: "...here are many other requirements and also a lot of common sense things that will follow getting into the business of being a guide. Although we tend to think of fishing as a simple and enjoyable thing to do, when you take others out for a fee you are accepting responsibility for more than their catching a few fish. Things can happen, especially when you are always in the company of strangers and you must be ready for any eventuality."

If/when you're standing in front of a Judge, "I didn't know" is not an answer he's willing to hear.:rolleyes:

L

Liphookedau

Only need a USCG Captains license if your using a boat with a motor, no need if your just using rafts/toons or drift boats.
Ard has given some good advise,don't worry from time to time you will be checked out as Water Safety is big nearly everywhere around The World these days & employs heaps of people to make sure people do the right thing.

You would be wise to obtain your necessary Licences/Permits for Power Boats as you don't know when you might have to use them,it's better to be over qualified.
I know I still have a Boat licence which I've had for over 40 years(even though I very rarely drive a Boat now)which I acquired when we were all more agile & into Waterskiing so we could all Tow Skiers,it still occassionally comes in handy.
Brian