North Branch Potomac / Savage River Inquiry

houli

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've looked back at older posts on these areas and had a question.

I'll be in Deep Creek Lake for a bachelor/bachelorette party at the end of February next year. I'd like to sneak out for a few hours and fish if the fishing is worth it this time of year. Anyone have recommendations>?

Thanks.

Ryan

axle27

Reaction score
Two things jump out:

houli: you're not from Hawaii, are you?

Which is it, a bachelor or a bachelorette party? OR both?

houli

Reaction score
hahaha

1. not from Hawaii ..... it's a childhood nickname (and was my grandfathers nickname)

2. Both ....

now on to the important stuff .... how's the fishing out that way in winter?

only adipose

Reaction score
As long as the flows are good you should be fine. I would fish the Savage a bit smaller water and wild fish. Stop by Savage River Outfitters if Mike is in town he won't steer you wrong.

njfly

Reaction score
The Savage is Tailwater and has some good midge fishing in the winter from talking to the fly shop on the river. I am up there every year or two as i went to WVU and I meet some of my college buddies to fish the rivers we learned to fly fish on. The Savage has some real nice browns and brookies up to 12" that are common. Not rediculously hard fishing, but may be a little tough for a beginner.

As far as the Potomac, there are no more Cuts to the best of my knowledge. I floated it two years ago and the guide said they are all but gone as they have not been stocked in years. The Potomac is big, tough to wade, and all stockies.

only adipose

Reaction score
North Branch has Cutts again. They start restocking fingerlings in 2011. Probably no big ones yet but they are there. I have talked to a few people and saw some reports by the DNR saying that some of the cutts have been traveling up the savage tailwater. So interesting all around out there.

njfly

Reaction score
North Branch has Cutts again. They start restocking fingerlings in 2011. Probably no big ones yet but they are there. I have talked to a few people and saw some reports by the DNR saying that some of the cutts have been traveling up the savage tailwater. So interesting all around out there.
That is good to know, thanks. I may float it again in a few years just to say i caught an east coast cutt.

houli

Reaction score
Anyone fished the North Branch or Savage recently ..... I'm still a month+ out from my trip but figured I'd check in.