Rod for Dad

williamhj

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of a rod I just finished for my dad. It's a 905-4 Tiger-eye for him to use when he comes out to visit my brother and I in Colorado. He doesn't fish much, but has taken my brother, brothers-in-law, and I on three fishing trips. So it's a 'thank you' rod.

I used bronze guides with olive wraps and bronze trim. A tulipwood reel seat turned by Dave at Winslow Rods and my first birch bark grip with rubberized cork on either end. The bark was much harder to shape than cork, especially since I turn it on my drill and shape it with sandpaper, but with 5 coats of tru-oil I think it turned out well.

Already took it out for a trial run and found the bark grip felt as good as it looks.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ard

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
William: Congrats, your father is going to be really impressed with the work yoiu did on that rod, the birch bark grip really looks sweet.

Larry

williamhj

Reaction score
WOW!!! The birch bark looks excellent man, say where did you find the bronze guides with a stripper to match?
The Golden Witch for the stripper, guides, and tip-top. I think the stripper was down near the bottom of their stripping guides page, it's a nice one. I find other places that carry bronze guides, but not tip-tops.

Thanks for the nice comments!

thewalker1013

Reaction score
How many have you built? I'd like to make my dad one but have never done it, curious how many it takes to get good?

That thing is awesome, btw

williamhj

Reaction score
How many have you built? I'd like to make my dad one but have never done it, curious how many it takes to get good?

That thing is awesome, btw
Thanks for the complement! I have about 11 under my belt. The basics actually aren't that hard, just have to be willing to put the time and effort in and not be afraid to mess up, cut off a wrap and redo it. When you finish a rod you'll find little mistakes and things you can improve on but the rod will fish just fine and you'll have a great sense of ownership. I have learned things with each rod and that makes the next one better. I don't think that learning will ever end.

Check out some of the other rods builders have posted, there are some very skilled folks on the forum. It's been a great resource for me. If you want to give it a whirl, go for it! Many people are here to help.

Auntie Em

Reaction score
Beautiful! Of all my rods,( and, yes there are "all" meaning way too many!), my most very favorite grip is my birch bark. Far and above any of the others, it's comfortable all day, actually warms in your hand, and never ceases to bring a smile to my face.
Your Dad's going to be one happy Dude!