large mouth bass flies

derekw68

Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone uses, and likes. I use a lot of deceivers this time of year. Poppers starting in march.

ezamora

Reaction score
i've only fished for largemouth bass once, i think it was in march last year, on a private lake and a buddy showed my the bunny leech. very easy tie and i used perhaps only 2 all day (as well as some poppers). caught a lot of fish for my first foray.

eric
fresno, ca.

jimw

Reaction score
My favorite would be a crayfish pattern with zonker strip pinchers either blue and black, or brown and orange. I like the top water flies in low light.
jim

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
i've only fished for largemouth bass once, i think it was in march last year, on a private lake and a buddy showed my the bunny leech. very easy tie and i used perhaps only 2 all day (as well as some poppers). caught a lot of fish for my first foray.

eric
fresno, ca.
Hi Eric,

It looks like there is going to be a lot of water in the streams and rivers next year with all the rain and snow California has been getting. May be a good year for you. Is the Sierras above Huntington getting some of the snow?

Frank

Joe D

Reaction score
Streamer wise, deceivers, Clousers, bunnies, mushmouths.

ezamora

Reaction score
Hi Eric,

It looks like there is going to be a lot of water in the streams and rivers next year with all the rain and snow California has been getting. May be a good year for you. Is the Sierras above Huntington getting some of the snow?

Frank
hello frank. yup, i'm guessing the answer is yes. and believe me, i'm really loking forward to it. i hope to hit a small drainage just east of huntington near the JMT next season, maybe late july/mid august. everything else is shaping up really nicely too. last year, my favorite little trout streams dried up mid june..

eric
fresno, ca.

tightlines57

Reaction score
In no particular order, DHM (Diamond Hair Minnow), clousers, poppers and chernybl ants. Of course there are color and size variations.

SouthernSteve

Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone uses, and likes. I use a lot of deceivers this time of year. Poppers starting in march.
Good question. I catch a lot of bass when casting small poppers for panfish. I use a chartreuese No. 10 bluegill popper. Bet I catch 6-10 bass per outing. Wonder how I'd do if I targetted bass?

This is a photo of a guy I took to the Everglades last June. This bass was taken on No. 10 popper on a 3-weight.

racine

Reaction score
Good question. I catch a lot of bass when casting small poppers for panfish. I use a chartreuese No. 10 bluegill popper. Bet I catch 6-10 bass per outing. Wonder how I'd do if I targetted bass?

This is a photo of a guy I took to the Everglades last June. This bass was taken on No. 10 popper on a 3-weight.

NICE FISH! Bet he was a handfull on that 3 wt.

SouthernSteve

Reaction score
NICE FISH! Bet he was a handfull on that 3 wt.
Yes, that fish was a handfull. We hooked one about 8-9 pounds the next time down. Had the fish on for a good 7-8 minutes before the hook pulled.

Again it was on a No. 10 popper.