New fish finder

markm

Reaction score
Well my 20 year old Fishing Buddy fish finder finely has crapped out. Are the new Hummingbird Buddy's any good? Is there a different set up I should look at? Ill be using it on a kickboat.

Mark

tail of the pool

Reaction score
I just picked up the 120 and plan to use it on Monday will let you know, one thing that bothered me was that although they seem designed for Float Tubes, Pontoons etc you have to by that mount seperate, they come with a c clamp

J

james w 3 3

I see a number of them in use on float tubes and pontoons.
Everyone I've talked with seems very happy.
Some have been pretty creative with attachment to their tube, always seems to involve PVC pipe.

mojo

Reaction score
I've been doing this stillwater thing for a couple years now. This is only MY opinion, but buy a full size, boat type sonar. More power, better and larger screen with more pixels, easier to program or get into a menu. Get a small SLA battery to power it, or if you use an electric trolling motor, tap into it'sbattery. Had the early FB when Bottomline owned it. I know it's been improved, but so have the full size sonars. And they have come down in price.Now color fish finders are more common and last years models are knocked way down in price. Look around, think outside the box. Give the Humminbirds a close look. Especially the dual cone models.

eastfly66

Reaction score
I just picked up the 120 and plan to use it on Monday will let you know, one thing that bothered me was that although they seem designed for Float Tubes, Pontoons etc you have to by that mount seperate, they come with a c clamp

I just ordered this

CABELA'S FLOAT TUBE BUDDY HOLSTER

it has a 52" strap that goes around the toon. I have one for the fishcat but the guy I got it from cut the extra strap off.

I just used the hum bird for the first time tonight

runningfish

Reaction score
I've been doing this stillwater thing for a couple years now. This is only MY opinion, but buy a full size, boat type sonar. More power, better and larger screen with more pixels, easier to program or get into a menu. Get a small SLA battery to power it, or if you use an electric trolling motor, tap into it'sbattery. Had the early FB when Bottomline owned it. I know it's been improved, but so have the full size sonars. And they have come down in price.Now color fish finders are more common and last years models are knocked way down in price. Look around, think outside the box. Give the Humminbirds a close look. Especially the dual cone models.
+1, I had the full size Hummingbird Sonar fishfinder and gps for my kayak. Can't remember the model since I've sold it 2 years ago, they will give you more features than the fishing buddy can. Features such as waypoints, depth and water temp recording, thermocline in colors, baitfish balls, etc. If you are fishing big lakes and reservoirs you can get the Navionic chips with the your lakes in it, it'll give you detail bottom structures and depths and other cool stuffs.

eastfly66

Reaction score
Back when I bought the Fishcat tube the Hum Bird 110 was part of the deal , I wasn't going to take it but I am glad I did. It is kind of cool to see the bottom and gets a little exciting when it says there are fish around , even if I don't hook up. For all I know there is a chip in there with a program that runs every now and than and says " FISH" !