Iowa fly fishing spots

zamboknee

Reaction score
I get that northeast Iowa is the only real trout location for Iowa but does anyone know of good streams/ rivers for fly fishing in CENTRAL Iowa? I'm just looking for something I can meander out to in waders and cast in piece. Bass, walleye, it doesn't matter what fish.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
You should hook up with the chapter in Des Moines. It is one of four in Iowa. Only the Dubuque chapter is trout centric. They will give you more local info than you will get anywhere else. Most of the small rivers in northern Iowa hold a decent population of smallies, pike etc. Don't wait until it is blistering hot and the water is low. Mid-summer fly fishing is real tough here.

mbchilton

Reaction score
There are opportunities to fish rivers and streams in central Iowa, but you have to get creative. Most of the small creeks in Des Moines and the suburbs hold chubs, bluegill, carp, catfish, and other species. It's a unique challenge.

The impact from drought and flooding in the last several years has had an adverse effect on the better rivers in the area, the Raccoon and Skunk, but they're still your best bet to catch smallmouth and walleye on a fly rod from a river in central Iowa. Send me a PM if you want more specific info.