New Rod

sesro1978

Reaction score
Hi-

I'm looking to purchase a new rod this spring and need suggestions (realizing of course that the best way to find a good rod is to go and cast a couple). I'm looking to narrow down my choices a bit.

I fish mainly small to mid-size streams/rivers with some overhanging brush. I'm going to be fishing a 5-wt. line (mostly) and am looking for fairly responsive rod. Up until now I was using (lost in a house fire last year) an Orvis Clearwater 8.6' 5-wt but I see they've changed their reel-seats from wood to graphite (a change I'm not all-together, thrilled with).

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,
sesro1978

BigCliff

Reaction score
I'd look the ECHO classic 5wt or a TFO Pro or Finesse series. All 3 are great rods for the money, and have a great warranty as well.

GRN

Reaction score
Where are you in VT?

What action do you like in rods?

What's your budget?

sesro1978

Reaction score
Where are you in VT?

What action do you like in rods?

What's your budget?
Hi-

I live around Quechee, VT (Ottauquechee River)...recently moved here and have not fished it but it certainly looks promising :)

I generally like a medium action rod and I'm trying (girlfriend might throw a fit if it goes over this) to keep it under $200.00...

GRN

Reaction score
In that price range for a med/fast I like the Sage Launch a lot... for a more moderate action, head to West Lebanon and cast the LL Bean Double L (try to hook up with Steve Cole, he runs the outdoor discovery program and is a NH Guide - and a very cool guy). I just bought a 6'6" 3wt Double L that is a hell of a sweet stick for $195. If you need help connecting with a local Sage dealer, PM me and I'll steer you to one over here that's great about putting together nice packages.

TL's~

sesro1978

Reaction score
In that price range for a med/fast I like the Sage Launch a lot... for a more moderate action, head to West Lebanon and cast the LL Bean Double L (try to hook up with Steve Cole, he runs the outdoor discovery program and is a NH Guide - and a very cool guy). I just bought a 6'6" 3wt Double L that is a hell of a sweet stick for $195. If you need help connecting with a local Sage dealer, PM me and I'll steer you to one over here that's great about putting together nice packages.

TL's~
Nice! Thanks a bunch! I'm pretty familiar with the LL Bean you speak of but not it's fly-fishing department (moved here last year, had a house fire, lost everything and now trying to re-build stock); I'll definitely check it out.

What do you think of Diamondback fly rods out of curiosity?

Thanks!

Joe D

Reaction score
Hi-

I'm looking to purchase a new rod this spring and need suggestions (realizing of course that the best way to find a good rod is to go and cast a couple). I'm looking to narrow down my choices a bit.

I fish mainly small to mid-size streams/rivers with some overhanging brush. I'm going to be fishing a 5-wt. line (mostly) and am looking for fairly responsive rod. Up until now I was using (lost in a house fire last year) an Orvis Clearwater 8.6' 5-wt but I see they've changed their reel-seats from wood to graphite (a change I'm not all-together, thrilled with).

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,
sesro1978
Orvis also changed the tapers and went to a carbon fiber scrim. The new rods are lighter than the older ones. You might want to check out the trout Bum series. They might fit the type of water you're fishing a little better.

But, as you already stated, the only real way to go about rod selection is to cast a few and pick the one you like the best.

GRN

Reaction score
Nice! Thanks a bunch! I'm pretty familiar with the LL Bean you speak of but not it's fly-fishing department (moved here last year, had a house fire, lost everything and now trying to re-build stock); I'll definitely check it out.

What do you think of Diamondback fly rods out of curiosity?

Thanks!
I think their glass rods in 2-4 wt are some of the best fishing tools made for the $... but I fear the longevity of the product support maybe in question... not that I'm nearly as close to that brand as I am others.

sesro1978

Reaction score
I think their glass rods in 2-4 wt are some of the best fishing tools made for the $... but I fear the longevity of the product support maybe in question... not that I'm nearly as close to that brand as I am others.
Fair enough.

On a related (sort of) note; I've noticed that many manufacturer's have moved from 2-piece rods to 4-piece rods. Do 4-piece rods fish any differently? Is this a trend in manufacturing?

GRN

Reaction score
Fair enough.

On a related (sort of) note; I've noticed that many manufacturer's have moved from 2-piece rods to 4-piece rods. Do 4-piece rods fish any differently? Is this a trend in manufacturing?
Short answer... don't fish much, if at all differently... and they are much easier to pack.

adrian

Reaction score
dear sesro,

give the Temple Fork rods a shot. i think that they are an incredible value. i have been and Orivs/ Winston/ Sage person for years (and own 8 of their rods) and picked up a 4 weight TFO Lefty professional series that i love.

i wouldn't buy anything but a 4 piece and i'm surprised that anyone still sells them. i guess that if you are really good (pro quality) you might feel a difference, i'm not and i don't.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

We still have 2 piece rods because they are cheaper to make. There are some design restraints with a 2 piece rod because the ferrule is at the mid point and you have to design with that in mind. The new ferrule designs are very good and have little effect on the rod action today. To my mind there is no reason to buy a 2 piece rod except for saving money.

Frank

sesro1978

Reaction score
Hi to all,

We still have 2 piece rods because they are cheaper to make. There are some design restraints with a 2 piece rod because the ferrule is at the mid point and you have to design with that in mind. The new ferrule designs are very good and have little effect on the rod action today. To my mind there is no reason to buy a 2 piece rod except for saving money.

Frank
Thanks everyone for all the information you've provided today!

I've narrowed my choices down - two rods (I think) - The TFO Finesse 7'9" 5-wt. or the Diamondback Americana series 8' 5-wt.

Any thoughts on those 2?

Thanks!

burk48237

Reaction score
If your interested in the Finesse series then check out the Cortland Brook series. Fly Fish America, was very impressed (in their gear guide). They are all four piece, come with nickel silver appointments, wood real seats, lifetime warranty. Unlike the TFO they come with a rod / reel case included (a 25$ extra with the TFO). We only sell them to independent pro shops. They start with a 6'6" 3 weight and run to an 8'6" 5 weight. We spent a lot of time tweaking these actions and they are the real deal.

burk48237

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the information you've provided today!

I've narrowed my choices down - two rods (I think) - The TFO Finesse 7'9" 5-wt. or the Diamondback Americana series 8' 5-wt.

Any thoughts on those 2?

Thanks!
I'm the rep for Diamondback, Cortland, in all sincerity the new Cortland rods are superior rods. Check out the Brook series instead as per my previous post.

BigCliff

Reaction score
That 7'9" 5wt TFO Finesse is a sweet stick. I was actually suprised at how punchy it was, but this is largely due to its length. It still qualifies as more of a medium action rod than a fast one, but don't expect something that feels anything like bamboo or fiberglass. Its wonderfully light too.

I'm actually waffling between that one and the St. Croix Avid 8' 5wt myself. The St. Croix is a little more $, but it includes the tube and the TFO doesn't. There's also the difference of American made versus Asian.

GRN

Reaction score
I'm the rep for Diamondback, Cortland, in all sincerity the new Cortland rods are superior rods.
Now Burk.... seriously, not that their not good rods, but what else would anyone expect you to say about them! :tongue:

FlyGal

Reaction score
+1 - go with a short stick, 6 to 7.6 would do you just fine for your streams. A shorter rod helps keep your backcast shorter and bushwack the small streams better than 8-9ft'ers

sesro1978

Reaction score
+1 - go with a short stick, 6 to 7.6 would do you just fine for your streams. A shorter rod helps keep your backcast shorter and bushwack the small streams better than 8-9ft'ers
Yea- I was leaning in that direction as I tend t wander into the woods when I come across a small inlet or stream.