July 14-17th LMF trip.

lmffisher

Reaction score
Had another great trip on the LMF. Still putting out some really great fishing. My buddy caught a 19 1/2" and 18" rainbow on his first few cast. Caught several 15-17" bows too. We also caught several sand bass, smallmouth, and one lonely crappie. My wife also did very well. She caught a 17" bow along with smaller bows.
The water coming out of the dam appeared to have cooled off just a little. My previous trip, it was running about 65-66 degrees coming out of the dam. This time it was around 61-63 degrees. Not much, but will definitely take anything we can get this time of year.
On a different note, speaking of which. Read where the stockings will be suspended on the LI till the water temperatures cool back off. Sure hate hearing that. Hope the existing bows and browns will make it through this elevated temperatures OK. Been anxiously awaiting to fish this stream again!

jcw355

Reaction score
I haven't done much fly fishing because LIR has been up and water running. LMF is a 3.5 hr trip for me so I don't do that very often and Roaring river is a 3 hr trip. Taneycomo is also 3 hrs but they have been running water too. Glad you had a good trip, might have to see if I can work out an LMF trip.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome day on the water, congrats!
I've been meaning to ask, what does LMF stand for?

Edit: If you have a cell phone or camera, I would love to see some photos of your river and fishing.

grifmxc

Reaction score
LMF = Lower Mountain Fork. It one of i believe 2 tail waters in OK that stay cold enough to support trout.

jcw355

Reaction score
LMF = Lower mountain fork river
LIR = Lower Illinois river

Oklahoma has had a lot or rain this year and being tailwaters they let the water out when the lakes are up. LMF got so high this year they had to open all the flood gates on the dam and they released over 20000 cfs down spillway creek destroying it and a lot downstream. Normal cfs is around 100 for spillway creek. 2009 also had another flood event but it was around 10000 cfs water release. Many people have said spillway will be better in time and is way different now. I haven't been down to fish LMF in awhile but have seen video and pictures of the damage. Wooduff guide service is one of my facebook likes and I have seen may nice fish pictures at LMF so im hoping for a better post flood fishery in time.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, that is a lot of water, more on the tune of what happens at the South Fork of the Snake, but there the summer flows are in the range of 10-14,000 CFS so they can handle a big surge. Thanks for the info!!!

lmffisher

Reaction score
jcw355,
Was just wondering.... When they get the two flood gates(hopefully) completely shut off on Lake Tenkiller, I'm thinking the water temperatures on the LI will cool back off due to the all the water coming off the bottom of the lake instead of higher up where the flood gate release is currently. Or could be the lake is so stirred up, it may not matter. Have you ever noticed that in the past? Thanks.

jcw355

Reaction score
The water is coming from the bottom of the lake. No flood gates are open. Water is coming from the sluice/conduit gates and generation for power. Water temps have hit low 70's so trout stocking has been suspended. All the years fishing the LIR I havent seen this much inflow for such a long period of time. The inflow water has been so much that there is no colder water at the bottom of the lake now. It will eventually cool off but for now im sure the stripers are annihilating the trout. My fishing options for trout are hours away not the 1.25 hrs I drive to the LIR.

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

I guess I should say the bottom of the lake is cooler than the 80 degree surface temps. Normally would be in the low to mid 60's this time of year

lmffisher

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the information. Saw where the water temperatures were running 71-72 degrees at the Gore gauge, but was just thinking the flood gates were still open due to the lake being so high for so long. Very much appreciate the information and sure hope the stripers, or the warm water has not done for on the trout. I'm still wanting to give it a try when the water flows are more reasonable.
I am still hoping the waters on Broken Bow Lake will continue to re-stratify and keep the river cool throughout the hot months. Last October, the water temperatures reached 70 degrees coming out of the dam, but that's not terribly unusual for that time of year. Wish the water on the LMF came off the bottom of the lake like it does on Tenkiller. Maybe we wouldn't have the high water temperature problem as much.