Running line

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I use lines which have the vinyl runner integrated right onto the back of the head. The stuff Steve Godshall fuses onto his lines is very nice. If you find yourself considering more lines you might want to give him a call.

flytie09

Reaction score
I use these.

100' Running Line with Loops Fly Line for Shooting Heads Spey Switch 034 | eBay

At $12.50 ea you can't go wrong. I like value and I like coated fly-line feel. I'm not casting 150 ft out either, but where I go..... this ain't happenin' or possible very often. Plus I'm a novice, so I'm not sure it will help my casting distance much. I have many more kinks to iron out first.

The silverbacks like Mono running lines (Amnesia, Varivas, etc) as they are inexpensive also (maybe more so) and they feel more connected (better response) to their fly during the swing.

This sums up the whole debate better than my blabbering can.

Shooting Lines

I hope this helps. Good luck.

ft09

Last edited:

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I use gripshooter, I like it a lot, seems to get beat up pretty fast where I fish, mine is pretty much shot after one season.

I like airflo so I'm trying out some ridge line next.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Airflo 'Ridge'. Though one of these days I may give one of Godshall's head/line combos a try.

rockriver

Reaction score
I currently have a Steve Godshall running line and head on my 7wt. Just thinking of what else and to set up my 8wt. Thanks.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I currently have a Steve Godshall running line and head on my 7wt. Just thinking of what else and to set up my 8wt. Thanks.
Integrated lines are great as long as there is no need to change out your head, you can change the entire line out back to the backing, but I'm not gonna change out that much unless I really need to.

B

blackbugger

I use Miracle Braid.
It's kind of old school but it lasts forever, doesn't kink, has no memory and when it starts to wear around the top ten feet or so near your head loop you can just strip it back ten to fifteen feet and splice a new loop.

I also like that it has a texture I can hold onto in the cold, mono's just too thin and slick though it probably does get you a few extra feet out of you're longest casts.

One of the things I like about it the best though is you can splice very nice loops into it that you can fit your reel through or a coiled up head which makes changing out heads a snap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFLc-sHvF2Q

I can't figure out how to embed videos here, I know I've done it before. What's the secret?

Last edited:

dillon

Reaction score
I have Rio Gripshooter on one of my reels. it's mainly used with a scandi head. On my other two reels i use Compline. They are mainly used with skagit heads. I like both running lines. The Compline is a flat mono and shoots a little better, but I like the flyline feel of the gripshooter in my hands.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Airflo 'Ridge'. Though one of these days I may give one of Godshall's head/line combos a try.
After that you start splicing those mini Z sections into the leaders and you stop changing heads / lines. When you're done rigging it up you wash it down with the Koolaid and you're good to go :D

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Here's my deal with running line as a first year man and as a successful veteran single hand steelheader.

Running line mends like **** there is no way around that so I find that the cast and the swing has to be on the money and I really don't even try to mend.

Most of the time I cast let it come tight and take three steps down to sink the fly and let it swing.