Tips for stillwater trout.

countryfied252

Reaction score
A local community lake had trout stocked in it and I was wondering what would be a good way to fly fish for them. Any help would be great.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

Sorry. Should have looked a little harder. Just found another thread already started.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Yep. There are some threads already started on this topic. I probably responded to a few of them... maybe.

Here's my take. Like fishing in moving water, you really need to figure out which depth the fish are at, and you need to be prepared for it. Some situations could call for a floating line. Some could call for a sinking line. You could compromise and use sinking leaders with your floating line, as well. You could also hang a fly underneath an indicator or a foam fly.

Experiment. Trial and error is your best friend.

Enjoy.

Dennis

tpo

Reaction score
Not knowing where you'll fish, the kind of lake, depth, etc, I'd suggest two starting techniques:

1). Use a #10-12 black, olive, or brown Wooly bugger with a #2 or 3 sinking line
2) Fish a small midge or PT nymph/ hares ear nymph with a slow sinking line or floating line with long leader and weighted flies and retrieve very slowly.

Good luck.

Tom

J

james w 3 3

Recently stocked fish in a lake often will tend to swim around the perimeter (and very near the surface) constantly looking for food. A point sticking out is a great place to start, since they have to go around it. Try a bugger with a little flash to it on a floating line or a slow intermediate line.

Bigger resident fish are whole different topic.