Knot Tying Tools

lanyard

Reaction score
Who uses one or more of them to good advantage? Which one? The tie fast tool seems a great nail knot tool, while the Three in one has the additional feature of the spring loaded clasp. Don't have either, but plan to get one or both...

Finally, (or maybe there are others) just using forceps to clasp tag ends is a tidy method. Any comments, insight, appreciated...thanks.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Just this one for nail knots.

All others are pretty easy but I struggled with nail knots for many years. A guy in a shop here gave me one of these because he felt sorry for me living in my cave. It is the slickest thing I ever used!

Rip Tide

Reaction score
They're a crutch as far as I'm concerned, not that I have a lot of experience using them.
Tying knots is a fly fishing fundamental. No less important than casting and reading the water
If you're arthritic or have terrible eyesight, that's one thing, but tying good knots is only a matter of practice and anyone can learn to do it well with a minimal amount of effort.

The only knot tool that I actually own is the Dennison Blood Knot Tool which is usually used for tying leaders.
I can do it faster by hand.

rockriver

Reaction score
I use a part of the ink tube in a Bic Pen for nail knots. I've used similar tubes since I started tying nail knots in the 70's.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I use the tie fast tool and I thank God for it every time I use it. It has made tying my leader to my fly line so much easier. One of my best investments on the water.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Just this one for nail knots.

All others are pretty easy but I struggled with nail knots for many years. A guy in a shop here gave me one of these because he felt sorry for me living in my cave. It is the slickest thing I ever used!
+1 for nail knots, all the others I can tie by hand.

weiliwen

Reaction score
I use something similar to Rockriver. I had an old can of WD-40 that was used up, so cut a 2" section of the tube - less than half the diameter of a pen ink tube - which I use for my nail knots. It works great. I don't use any other tools, but have considered one of those blood knot tiers.

spm

Reaction score
I agree that a knot tool can be seen as a crutch by some. I try to tie my knots without the aid of a tool. However, sometimes my fingers just won't work, and I then use the Tie Fast Tool mentioned above. I was introduced to it by a guide several years ago. It is very easy to use.

steve

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I stopped in at my local shop the other night to pick up a Tie Fast nail Knot too, but they were out. :(
You'll like it when you find one. I carried one of those little stir sticks that come in drinks at a bar for years for making the once in a while nail knot. It worked but I tied so few that they were almost always a struggle. When I made the switch from using the Beartooth Braided Lead Heads to using the RIO T material for mini heads it quickly became evident that they needed braided loops on each end. Gluing them for security was a bad idea, it made them stiff and brittle. So........ a couple nail knots using 8 pound mono seemed logical. Problem was that this was difficult, it could be done but getting the knot right where you wanted it and getting it neat and correct was tough. The little tool makes it so simple that I no longer dread making up a batch of heads.

tpo

Reaction score
I use the same nail knot tool pictured in the thread that many of you use. I also have a couple of blood knot tools I use for making leaders, I have the Dennison tool but my favorite is called a Moodus sports tool I got at Cabelas years ago. I don't think it's made anymore. When I'm on the water I don't even try to tie blood knots, if I have to tie on a new tippet section or do a leader repair I'll either use a triple surgeons knot or back-to-back nail knots for larger butt sections. I use the tip of the nail knot tool to pull the line through the loops when making those triple surgeons, my fingers are too clumsy to thread it through three times without some help.

Tom

socal rob

Reaction score
They're a crutch as far as I'm concerned, not that I have a lot of experience using them.
Tying knots is a fly fishing fundamental. No less important than casting and reading the water
If you're arthritic or have terrible eyesight, that's one thing, but tying good knots is only a matter of practice and anyone can learn to do it well with a minimal amount of effort.

The only knot tool that I actually own is the Dennison Blood Knot Tool which is usually used for tying leaders.
I can do it faster by hand.
I'm a bit arthritic and far-sighted. I'm a medium good caster and not sure if I am ever reading the water correctly. But I love getting out there and doing my best. Always learning. For me I decided not to worry about knots ruining my day. So I use a 3 in 1. It helps my frustration level.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
The knots I typically use, Albright, Perfection or Double Surgeon's Loop, Bimini Twist, many Blood Knots and the occasional Ligiture Knot along with the Non-Slip Loop, Trileen and the occasional Improved Clinch Knot, are all best tied with your fingers...actually I include my feet when tying the Bimini. Only the Nail Knot is best tied with a tool; I like a slender tube or a fly tying bobbin but have used a cocktail, hollow swizzle stick in a pinch.

lanyard

Reaction score
I saw a video on Facebook recently on using a toothpick to tie blood knots. I now have a couple in my pack. It makes tying so much easier for me, as I always dreaded tying on more tippet when on the water.

Here's a link: http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-fishing-tips-technique/the-worlds-best-blood-knot/
I'm still attempting this.

One major obstacle is I need some method to magnify the process. I thought I was completely clumsy, and certainly am to an extent, but it is made worse if you can't see the line.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'm still attempting this.

One major obstacle is I need some method to magnify the process. I thought I was completely clumsy, and certainly am to an extent, but it is made worse if you can't see the line.
Dollar store reading glasses
Don't leave home without them :thumbsup:

lanyard

Reaction score
Dollar store reading glasses
Don't leave home without them :thumbsup:
Thanks for the comment. I wear glasses for reading, but as mentioned I need something to magnify. Not sure I can wear two pairs at once.

I did buy a little set of those magnifiers that clip to the brim of the cap, but they are pretty difficult to keep on the subject, since they are small.