Moving to Syracuse, where are the trout?

caberguy

Reaction score
I've just accepted a job offer in Syracuse, and will be moving there at the beginning of August.

Where's the closest good trout fishing. I grew up in Rochester, and am somewhat familiar with the area, but didn't start fly fishing until well after I left.

I'm mostly interested in river and stream fishing, rather than still water. I know that there are many opportunities in the Adirondacks, but is there anything worthwhile that's closer?

There seem to be a number of guide books available. Can anybody recommend a couple of good ones?

moucheur2003

Reaction score
West Canada Creek is a well known trout river. Exploring some of the Finger Lakes outlets and blue line tribs can be rewarding too. Ask for more specific advice in the fly fishing department at Bass Pro in Auburn.

jlmorton

Reaction score
Curious, where will you be working? About the fishing, nine mile creek, limestone, butternut creek and upper Delaware is maybe an hour south of Syracuse. Stop in to see Rick and Dave Cramer at the Troutfitter on Erie Blvd in Dewitt, the only real fly shop in town. Also Salmon River is in Pulaski not too far out and there's a bunch of shops out that way.

whalensdad

Reaction score
We have 2 great TU chapters out here. Madison County TU 680 and Iroquois TU 002. JLMorton pointed out some of the local streams. If you want some specifics, send me a PM and we can chat.

Lee

willyf

Reaction score
Such a great place to be! The Ontario tribs are close, the Finger Lakes tribs are close, and the Catskills are relatively close. There also quite a few small streams and lakes that hold trout in the area. It's hard to go wrong... at least until everything freezes over.

caberguy

Reaction score
It's been a while since my post. I've been distracted, as it turns out.

The job is at Syracuse University.

Thank you all for your responses.
I'm moving in about 10 days, looking forward to some new experiences.

flytie09

Reaction score
Upstate NY is a true sportsman's dream. The winters suck... but the fishing kicks ass! Salmon River, Fish Creek, Mohawk River, Mad River, Chittenango Creek, West Canada.... you name it. If there's a small ditch with water in it up there... there's a trout in it.

I grew up learning to fly fish those rivers and they're all awesome. Tight lines my friend.

ft09