Non slip mono for drys and nymphs?

nimblybimbly85

Reaction score
I love the non slip mono, I believe it's the strongest knot I can tie based on streamer experience.

I have been wondering if the theory of the streamer being more life like with the mono loop could be applied to a dry fly and nymph?

Thoughts?

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I love the non slip mono, I believe it's the strongest knot I can tie based on streamer experience.

I have been wondering if the theory of the streamer being more life like with the mono loop could be applied to a dry fly and nymph?

Thoughts?
My thoughts are no likely difference. Dries and nymphs do not rely on a natural swimming action like many streamers do.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
I don't think it would do much for a dry. Nymphs, possibly.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

el jefe

Reaction score
The non-slip mono loop allows a more natural movement for both dries and nymphs. When fishing is slow, and switching flies doesn't help, I have just changed my knots to the non-slip mono loop, and started hooking up. I agree it is a stronger knot. It also allows one to use a larger diameter tippet, important for some tailwater fisheries and educated fish, whatever those are. The non-slip mono loop is now my preferred knot, and it fails far less than all versions of clinch knots.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
The non-slip mono loop allows a more natural movement for both dries and nymphs. When fishing is slow, and switching flies doesn't help, I have just changed my knots to the non-slip mono loop, and started hooking up. I agree it is a stronger knot. It also allows one to use a larger diameter tippet, important for some tailwater fisheries and educated fish, whatever those are. The non-slip mono loop is now my preferred knot, and it fails far less than all versions of clinch knots.
What would be the reason for you to not just use it all the time on all flies?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I am a long-time user of the non-slip mono loop having been taught it by a guide friend in the Keys back in the 80's. It is my go to knot for all saltwater flies imitating bait fish or crustaceans. It is also applicable for freshwater streamers and, though I do not fish nymphs much, why not particularly for something big like a Pteronarcys stonefly.

It is a great knot because when a stripped fly is paused the fly waifts less encumbered then it might with a fixed knot on a heavier tippet. Larger bonefish and all permit take a crab or shrimp fly on the drop as the imitation suggests a natural organism heading toward the bottom to secure itself in the marl.

Imitating the natural attitude of a mayfly or caddis imitation is the opposite situation. Firstly, you are using a fine tippet and not stripping. Secondly the fly is small and a far less bulky knot generating minimal surface refraction is required. Most importantly it is YOUR job to position and induce a natural dead drift of the fly sans vagary of the fly swiveling in the current on an uncontrollable loop knot. Indeed, the opposite is required. A knot that is not only fixed to the eye but will resist rotating on the hook. A through the eye twice Trileen knot is not only very strong but even more relevantly, locks in place, resisting even under the pressure of fighting a fish, moving to the side of the eye. This reduces frictional energy which damages Nylon as well as preserving a fly first attitude on the currents. The tippet to fly knot does not induce a more natural dead drift, the anglers' articulation of line and leader in air and on water does.

el jefe

Reaction score
What would be the reason for you to not just use it all the time on all flies?
Three answers to that.

First, I just forget. I tied the clinch knot for so long, that sometimes I just do it out of habit.

Second, if the wind is up, the casting is easier for me with the fly in a straight-line, direct connection to the tippet.

Third, sometimes with multi-fly rigs I'll tie on at least one on with a clinch knot (the point fly). Whey tying the dropper to the point fly, I think you negate the effectiveness of the mono loop with another fly tied onto the point fly. Usually a clinch knot is used to tie the dropper tippet either onto the bend or eye of the point fly. There is a way to tie on both flies with non-slip mono loops, which involves tying the dropper piece of tippet to the standing line above the mono loop of the point fly with a clinch knot. This setup results in a lot of tangles for me, though, and the clinch knot often pulls out when tying it around the tippet. This setup does allow for non-slip mono loops to both flies, though, with the added benefit of changing the point fly without having to remove the dropper; just slide the clinch knot up the tippet and change the point fly.

Bigfly

Reaction score
I use the loop knot on everything but small dries. (Too much mass near the fly.)
And I tie a micro version for bigger May flies and Stones.
But it's mandatory with a streamer.
Never had a break-off with it.

Jim

racine

Reaction score
I've used this in the salt but have tried it on larger dries of the 14-18 and it seems to work. The only downside is the work to tie one vs using the conventional quick knots and the amount of tippet used. Otherwise why knot?

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
I use the non-slip mono for many applications including dry and nymphs. When you deal with micro-currents, especially with small flies and emergers the non-slip loop knot is perfect to allow those smaller flies to drift more naturally rather than appearing to be attached to the end of a garden hose.

Just my two-cents :D

Kelly.

timd

Reaction score
I use it on everything except small drys. I think it really makes a difference with nymphs tied to droppers. If you look at your rigs in the water you can see how a nymph on a dropper with a loop knot just looks more realistic than one tied with a clinch knot.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Good demo.

Would you change it in any way for fluorocarbon tippet?
I did not watch the video but yes, for fluor I leave the tag trimmed a little longer as an anti-slippage guarantee. Also, as I use this knot mostly with large flies in the salt, I like a "third hand" in tightening it. I keep my nipper on a good sized split ring and put the hook in the ring while pulling the standing end fairly hard with the tag in (pardon me) my teeth. Fully tightened this knot all but never fails.