SA XPS for St Croix Avid?

Schlick

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

I found a great deal on some Scientific Angler's XPS and was wondering if it would work nicely on St. Croix Avid.

The Avid is moderate fast rod, and I've heard different reviews on the line - one saying that it is ideal for for slower rods, and another claiming that it is is slightly heavier to better load todays faster graphite rods... I'm confused - which one is it?

I was thinking about picking up the Rio Selective Trout line, but after seeing a half price deal on the XPS, started considering it for my 5wt trout rod.

Is this a good line for the rod in question, and would you recommend a WF or a DT in the XPS.

Let me know your thoughts.

Schlick

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Schlick,

The XPS is not slightly heavier. It is intended for short range fishing with slow to moderate action rods. It would be a good choice at 1/2 price. If you do a lot of roll casting, you will like a DT.

For your information the SA GPX line is 1/2 weight heavier and you may be confusing this line with the XPS.

Frank

Mastery Series Freshwater Lines

XPS

Exact Presentation Taper
Applications:
  • Delicate presentations, short to medium distance
  • A great cold-weather line, ideal for spring creeks and wary fish
  • DT version for accurate short casts and line control
  • Lowest memory of any Mastery Series line
WF taper characteristics:
  • Long compound front taper and small tip for enhanced delicacy and control
WF XPS Fly Line

DT XPS Fly Line

FrankB2

Reaction score
Based on the Avid (IPC model) 9' 5wt that I owned, I would not go with any
of the 1/2 weight heavier lines. In fact, my 5wt Avid cast a 4wt line very well.
For half price, I'd try the XPS.

Reading line reviews can be tricky, because so many different rods are being
used by the reviewers. Also, people tend to blame their equipment, when
they should be using the product as intended. In the case of XPS, short to
medium distance. I don't see why a line that works well at medium range
wouldn't work well for longer distances, but that's the product's description...

Schlick

Reaction score
Thanks you guys.

I will be primarily fishing smaller creeks, so the distance thing isn't that huge of an issue. And as I am a beginner, I can's say if I'd be doing a lot of roll casting, I like the $35 price tag though.

The available DT line is bright orange, so I'm leaning away from that. The WF line is grey.

I've read that a DT line is better for delicate presentations and roll casting, where as WF line is better for distance. Will it really make that much of a difference for a guy just starting out though?

Thanks.

Schlick

FrankB2

Reaction score
I don't know how much fish are spooked by line color, but I can tell you that
some line colors are very hard to see while casting. I had a Cortland line that
was olive drab, and that stuff become invisible against a background of green
leaves. I really couldn't see it at all. I left it on a 4wt reel that I sold....

Cortland's 444 peach-colored line has been a standard for years, and I don't
see too many other peach objects floating naturally on streams, lakes, or
rivers, but the stuff catches fish. The only grey line I've cast was SA's Sharkskin, but that was against a clear blue sky. It contrasted with the sky,
and was visible, but a background of trees and leaves might have made it
difficult to see.

Since you say you're new, watching your line while casting is very important.
If the line is invisible.....:eek: ;)

Cortland's 444 line is around $45, and could be a nice compromise between
flaming orange and stealth grey. It's also a fine line, and works very well with
a 5wt Avid.

wtex50

Reaction score
Being able to see the line is important, as previously mentioned, especially if you are new....Up to 30' a DT and WF should roll cast about the same...after 30' is where a DT really pays off in roll casting...If you are on small streams...it shouldn't matter...The advantage of a DT, in addition to roll casts, is you are buying two lines....when one end is worn you can reverse and use the other...However it will take a long time to wear out a line with normal fishing. If you are like me, you gert the urge for the latest, greatest long before your line wears out. The XPS is a quality line and that is a good price....go for it

Schlick

Reaction score
Okay so I missed out on the XPS... It was an eBay thing and I was outbid at the last minute... that is okay though as I need the line soon - trout opens in two weeks.

So tonight or tomorrow night I'm going to go grab either the Rio Selective Trout in a WF (last years version) or the Wulff Triangle Taper.

Please let me know what you think of these lines... The Selective Trout is my first choice, but I worry the WF design will not roll cast well - my local shop doesn't have it in a DT. The Wulff will roll cast well, but I've read a lot of bad things about its memory issues...

Let me know your thoughts.

Schlick.

Schlick

Reaction score
Forgot to mention though... I'll be fishing smaller rivers, so it doesn't have to roll cast further than 40 feet. I believe the Selective Trout in a WF has a long enough front and rear taper that I should be able to do that without hitting the running line - where Roll Casting becomes harder on WF lines... I may be wrong though as I'm not that educated yet in this sport.

Schlick

FrankB2

Reaction score
I like WF lines myself, but you can either ask your local shop to order a line
in DT, or mail-order it yourself. Don't settle for something just because it's
all they have in stock. My local shop can get requested orders in a few days to one week.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Schlick,

Don't be concerned with getting a WF line. It is my favorite type of floating line. At the short distances you are fishing the WF will roll cast just fine.

Frank

wtex50

Reaction score
Don't worry about the RIO ST and roll casting.... It is a great line for rollcasting - even in a WF....I use a WF5F on my Granger boo and it is great. It is also great for delicate presentations and you will have those on small streams. As for the Wulf TT - I know alot of people love this line and I have it on a 6 wt Phillipson boo.....I just think you would be happier with the Rio - a more versatile line in my opinion.