Onychophagia-B-Gone. Hello whites of my nails.

sevenmxf

Reaction score
Hi. My name is Michael and I suffer from Onychophagia. Or... at least, I did.

A nibble here. A nibble there. A broken tooth followed by a finger infection. Yes, folks, it's called Onychophagia (also known as compulsive nail biting) and I've been very discrete, yet very persistent, about this nasty habit since I was a young adult. Until six weeks ago that is...

Six weeks ago is precisely the time when I started fly fishing. I've not placed a finger nail between my teeth since that time. I'm positive that there's no coincidence. My nails are now safe from my chompers and I've seen the white parts of the nail tips for the first time in 30 years of so. I've even had to trim them for Godsake (PM me if you'd like to see high-res photos). I'm also rather certain that fly fishing's "tonic" has provided many more benefits as well. Pretty sweet stuff.

Nope. Fly fishing hasn't made me give up drinkin' a fine ale or glass or three of Mendoza Malbec on a frequent basis. But that's a whole 'nother matter.

Cheers, all - and tight lines this weekend!
Michael

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Congrats, but beware the compulsion to begin fly tying and accumulating massive quantities of materials is just around the corner and it is a very addictive habit to kick!:D:D:D

Larry

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
I think larry might be right---- it might be a question of out of the pan and into the fire....

--- but welcome to the flames.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Michael, this is funny stuff.
I've never bitten my nails, but for 35yrs, I've bitten my lip everytime I drift a dry over a large fish. I don't think there is a cure for this.
Some things you just have to live with.

Jim

Last edited: