How's The Weather?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
For years now I've been posting extremes with regard to winter weather here in South Central Alaska. Specifically conditions in the Interior or in my case on the peripheries of the Interior. Our Cabin is located roughly 8 miles Northwest of the village of Skwentna so we are not deep into the interior as if we were at McGrath or elsewhere.

I have however seen some swings in temps and conditions over the past ten years that are truly mind boggling. Back around 2007 / 08 I spent a winter out there, actually only three months of the winter but during that time, within the same week in January I saw a period where the temp looked in the -45 zone for 4 days and that was followed in a 36 hour time frame with a high of 49 and a very hard rain. That was really unbelievable, a swing of 94* over a 36 hour period. Winter by winter the extreme swings seem to persist.

Just this past Tuesday morning I arrived at Willow AK. to launch for a short recon trip to the cabin. Due to warm conditions I didn't go out before the new year and Tuesday was my day to put in a good trail and pack things down for a couple days. When I departed the area where I left my truck and trailer the temperature was a brisk -20 degrees. I couldn't tell if I rode through any colder areas along the rivers because -20 at 30 mph doesn't allow for a good basis to sense any minor changes. Out at the cabin which is 75 miles from the launch site the air was only -7 so it was in fact warmer out there than where I had came from just three hours earlier. The nightly lows were right around -18 which would be suitable for this time of year here. The snowpack leaves a little to be desired, I guestimate that it is a bit under three foot total.

Today as I type this the temperature up at Willow is 35 degrees which is a solid gain of 55 degrees over just 4 days ago. When I state that there may well be something happening with the climate around the country it is changes like this which are the basis for my posts. At 9 O clock this morning it was warmer here than in Williamsport PA. or Shawnee OK. and somehow that has been the case for most of the past 6 weeks............

If you are a member here in AK. and I know we have a few, what's happening where you are at?

arreflections

Reaction score
I am not from AK but Nice real world measurements Ard. Too bad it is ignored by government for political/personal gain. Stuff like this is should be above politics.

airborne 82nd

Reaction score
Strange patterns here in upstate new york , weve had three weeks of single digit temps, the past three days we have hit mid_ 40ies , then it dropped again Now into below freezing again , i got excited to get in river this upcoming week,but after driving to the river its to dangerous with ice jams , its pretty crazy ...oh well ill be at my tying vice lol
Airborne

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Cool mornings, clear skies. Perfect Steelhead fishing weather! Too bad, as predicted, this years run is the pits. Couple of fairly recent articles in our local 'rag' suggested the Oregon Fishing lic purchases are waaaay down from last year. Which I can understand as the basic lic., plus the Steelhead and Salmon punch cards, will set you back just a bit south of $100.00

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to update,

Things have remained the same here with the high being 41* today January 17th. I drove to Anchorage today and the coldest spot I crossed on the 54 mile drive was 39 so it is remaining warm here, tomorrow will make 7 days straight if we hit 40 again.

karstopo

Reaction score
21 or so last night here 12 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, reached a high of 35-36 today. Inland a ways it was in the single digits last night. Going to be in the 20s here again tonight. Snow and freezing rain caused a lot of trouble yesterday and the unusual cold burst pipes today. Supposed to be in the 60s by the weekend, I’m ready.

knotjoe

Reaction score
Too bad it is ignored by government for political/personal gain.
Not being ignored by any government on Earth. If warmer temps and less ice mean more access to oil, one needn't any crystal ball to see the future here. No one in power from any political party anywhere is really freakin' about it.

Supposed to be in the 60s by the weekend, I’m ready.
I know what you mean. While the temps today are going to be in the balmy 40's, not long ago the mercury dipped to -17 in Indiana without windchill. It sucked. Never thought a high of 6 degrees would feel like a warm respite from the chill, but it did and we were all grateful to see no minus signs in front of the temp readings. All is relative, I suppose.

bushak

Reaction score
It's been unseasonably warm out in Bethel. Speaking of which, we are on a second straight day of highs around 40 degrees and raining.

npike

Reaction score
7 today and snow, which is great for the snowpack/SWE, but stinks for the here and now, as I'm itching to get out and go fishing--I have a Christmas gift card for a few days on one of the local spring creeks burning a hole in my pocket-- and I don't take many days off work. I did manage to get up to the big tailwater a couple of Wednesdays ago when it was almost 40, found a few afternoon midges and a couple fish sporadically rising to them, caught a pretty little 15" or so brown, so beautifully marked was the little guy that I tried to take his picture, and I don't take many, but between keeping him wet and awkwardly fumbling for my phone he slipped away, which was no doubt for the best.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
It's in the mid 60's here in my area of Colorado, but the wind is bad. Channel 7 news last night was calling for up to 80mph winds today. Not qite there yet, but it's enough to keep me home.

We need snow!! Can we borrow some from someone?

el jefe

Reaction score
It's in the mid 60's here in my area of Colorado, but the wind is bad. Channel 7 news last night was calling for up to 80mph winds today. Not qite there yet, but it's enough to keep me home.

We need snow!! Can we borrow some from someone?
Better use your 6-weight!!

I think I saw where you're supposed to get pounded on Tuesday, which is good, because I'm heading to Littleton on Thursday.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Coming down pretty good currently. 11 degrees tomorrow, 9 on Tuesday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk