Magic Tool, standard

tob1

Reaction score
Very nice tool . I have used it for 3 years now. Get Serafil thread then you don´t need to make loops. Serafil thread is 2 cordell thread and is very easy to split (antitwist the thread with your fingers and put your scissor point in the loop - then open up and put the material from the tools inside the loop)
Trygve:wink:

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi BlueBird,

You are really getting into fly tying in a big way. That is great and ladies are very good at tying flies. My wife use to tye all of mine.

There is a DVD available on how to use the Magic Tool. I have not used one my self but it does seem like an interesting technique.

Frank

Mp Magic Tool Dvd
Item # RP003

Magic Tool DVD by Marc Petitjean covers all of the basic applications and techniques necessary to use the MAGIC TOOL to open up a whole new dimension to your fly tying! You'll see Marc tying with his other clever, custom designed MP TOOLS that are now available. Marc covers the following 6 patterns: Basic CDC Caddis, CDC Pardo (Coq de Leon) Caddis, Mayfly Dun, CDC Mayfly Parachute, Chickabou Streamer and Basic Salmon/Steelhead Fly. Learn to integrate CDC as a "hackle substitute" for all of your favorite mayfly and caddis patterns, even parachutes! Watch how to make beautifully segmented and buggy bodies on any mayfly, create endless hackle substitutes, mix dubbing and feathers for streamers and nymphs, use materials like Angel Hair and Lite Brite to make collars on streamers and baitfish patterns and more. Plus he clearly and concisely shows how to use the wooden dowels included with the Magic Tool set to incorporate long strands of material like Krystal Flash into absolutely any pattern. 33 minute DVD

BlueBird

Reaction score
Tob1, thanks...

Frank, thank you too for the info about the DVD... I will look into it... ladies? I am a dude.. hehehe

-Cesar

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
BlueBird

You might also PM lambster, he is a member but doesn't post much but I think that is the tool he uses to make his metalic streamers. You might give him a shout to see what he thinks.

Larry

tob1

Reaction score
Here is picture off Serafil thread that is a nice thread to use with the tool and also a nice thread allround. One more tips in the same way. A very nice dubbing wax is the swix v40 blue extra skiwax. The skiwax has a perfect consistence for dubbing.

Last edited:

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Frank, thank you too for the info about the DVD... I will look into it... ladies? I am a dude.. hehehe

-Cesar

Sorry about that Cesar, I must have confused you with someone else.

Frank

BlueBird

Reaction score
hehehe.. speaking of ladies... my wife just loves to see me tie the flies but she doesn't want to be part of it. She used to be a Custom Dressmaker owner but she just got sick and tired anything about threads and needles. lol

tob1, where can I buy those "Serafil thread"?

Larry, ok will try to PM "lambster"....

thanks...

tob1

Reaction score
Serafil thread is used in the cloth-factories. I can shop it in my local fly-tying shop in Norway.
Here is a link for one person that use the Serafil Viktor Sermek

You can also use the Petitjean thread (or any thread that will flatten) and split it with a very sharp needle (scissor point).
This take some more time since you have to untwinn (flatten) the thread. There are some variants to do that are a bit more easy.

One use off Serafil (two cordel) thread is by the shoe repair man. He use a very strong and thin variant off the thread.

So you must go out and hunt for the thread :smile:

The thread will do the fly tying much more easy. Dubbing is very easy - just split the thread, apply wax to the 2 cordells and tutch-dubb the dubbing. Rotate the bobbin and apply to the fly. You can insert deerhair,cdc, feather and many more things between the cordells. It is only your fantasy that stops here:wink:

tob1

Reaction score
One very nice video demo with the Serafil thread will you find here MollanMedia_Video.

The video is a flash video with Staffan Lindstrøm one off the most inovative fly tyers in Norway.

To start the video click - Staffans Renaflue (the words spoken is in norwegian)

On the page where the finger is.

There are also another nice videos on the page (Staffan Monterer Del1 is a very nice way to set up your fly fishing gear)

BlueBird

Reaction score
Yipee!! I found a local store here in New York City that sells that Magic Tool. Got it!! Can't wait to get home and try it... :frogdance

BlueBird

Reaction score
Last night as I was tying a centipede fly immitation and my wife just got curious by looking over my shoulder then she said "hey, those are cool looking stuff you tying". then she grabs it off but I still have the thread on and then WHAM... she screamed!! her finger got hooked (but that bad). :( She didnt see the black thread still attached to the fly. :icon_neut

Jackster

Reaction score
Very nice tool . I have used it for 3 years now. Get Serafil thread then you don´t need to make loops. Serafil thread is 2 cordell thread and is very easy to split (antitwist the thread with your fingers and put your scissor point in the loop - then open up and put the material from the tools inside the loop)
Benicchi thread also splits well for use as a dubbing loop. The Magic Toll/Benicchi combo is how I hackle fox fur tips for bugger hackle.

jose

Reaction score
Last night as I was tying a centipede fly immitation and my wife just got curious by looking over my shoulder then she said "hey, those are cool looking stuff you tying". then she grabs it off but I still have the thread on and then WHAM... she screamed!! her finger got hooked (but that bad). :( She didnt see the black thread still attached to the fly. :icon_neut
I was about to ask you for the specific store in NYC that you found the magic tool, but that seems rather insensitive right now after your wife's injury. How's she doing? How was the hook removed- do it yourself? Docs place?

In any case, I think I can speak for others here in that we wish her well, hope for a quick healing-up, and hope she doesn't campaign against the dangers of this sport too strongly after that incident.

BlueBird

Reaction score
Jose, she's ok. thanks for asking.. :) not that deep, just a puncture and little blood comes out... :icon_cry: but.. she's fine..

I got hooked also for the same damn fly... :icon_neut the centipede pattern is a killer... LOL

Oh I got that "Magic Tool" from Urban Angler at New York City (corner 25th street, Broadway and Park Ave). For the number and direction... go to www.UrbanAngler.com.

Great tool!!

BlueBird

Reaction score
I used the Magic Tool today but my thread is so thin and can't split them... :icon_neut so, instead, I twisted using a whipping tool. :wink:

this is the fly... awesome device...

BlueBird

Reaction score
Its getting more interesting now... every night when we both get home from work. My wife would always asked me whats the next fly pattern I will be tying. She look look into all my fly tying books and pick a couple of very nice cool patterns but hard to tie flies (for my level of experience).

Whenever I finish a nice one she would ask me to find and join Fly Swaps and so eager to receive stuffs from the fly swaps. Like the one hosted by Joni. She can't wait to get to see the other people's work.

I told her how about I will bring her to a fly shop and she can check out the thousands of available flies.. lol :smile: