Small creeks near Idaho Falls?

dondonaldson

Reaction score
Im going up to Idaho Falls for two weeks in November to see my grandparents and was wondering if anybody would be able to recommend some small creeks or streams. I will already be hitting henrys fork so I already have that covered, just trying to get some secluded wading in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

el jefe

Reaction score
This whole thing with the secret fishing spots reminds me of an old Mormon joke. The short version goes like this:

A guy dies and finds himself at the Pearly Gates talking to St. Peter, who asks the guy what religion he is, because that will determine where in Heaven he goes. The guy says he's not sure, so St. Peter says he'll show him around, and the guy can pick. They go by all kinds of different religions and denominations, each with their hilarious stereotypical characteristics. At one point, the guy stops St. Peter, and points to a quiet, humble group in white robes, and asks who they are. St. Peter admonishes the guy to be quiet. "Shhhhhh...those are the Mormons, and they think they're the only ones up here."

We're kind of like the Mormons in that joke, aren't we?

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
It has been 20 years since I lived an fished in Southeast Idaho, so my first thought would be to call Jimmy Gabbetas at All Seasons Anglers in IF.

The other good source would be the Fly Fisher’s guide to Idaho by Ken Retallic and Rocky Barker. They are accurate and detailed in their reporting.

Some years in Idaho early November had great fishing and some years the weather turned to complete ****. But on the good years we found the best fishing was on some of the braids and side channels on the South Fork of the Snake. And there are some tributaries that have some fun fishing.

There is one smaller river that is virtually unwadeable during much of the year,but becomes a lot of fun after the potato harvest is done. I’m talking about the Blackfoot River below the Blackfoot Reservoir. It’s not a secret or private honey hole sort of place and those trout get harvested by local bait guys during the summer. But it is worth a trip on dirt roads during the fall.

There are a number of BLM campgrounds that turn off of the open range road and there is plenty of public access. Most of the guys who fish that river during the summer are too busy hunting in November to spend time on the river.

You might need to consult a local or pick up a topo map to find the access road that takes off from the city of Blackfoot, about 25 miles south of IF.

Just outside of the town of Ririe there is a part of the South Fork that is called Twin Bridges. The river braids there and you can wade up or downstream when the water is low as it will be in November. That’s probably less than a 20 minute drive from IF. The first bridge you come to after going through Ririe is the main braid, but if you keep on going there is a much smaller braid in about a quarter mile that I preferred. That all used to be public access but I have no idea whether it has been built up since I fished there.

That should give you a start.

Don