Need your opinion on Winston IM6...

JBinUTAH

Reaction score
I have been debating the purchase of a Winston IM6 rod, 4 or 6 weight. Used of course prices are going around $250 +/-. I had the chance to try one last September on the Gallatin in Montana and enjoyed it. Just thought I would post my thinking here and get your opinions. I currently own a Sage XP 5wt. and a Temple Fork TICR-X 5 weight ( I may be trading the TFO). I do some of my fishing on the Provo, and most of it at my second home in Island Park, fishing the Henry's, Madison, Yellowstone, etc. Henry's Lake is more of a 6 weight rod lake, and the rest is a mix of 4 or 5 weight. What have you expeienced and what are your likes and dislikes. Thanks in advance.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Although its been a while, I have cast the Winston IM6/WT series and I can't say that I was all that impressed. They do have an action that is ideal for technical trout fishing, but I just didn't like it all that well. Similar rods I do like better are the Scott G Series, (old one, haven't tried the g2 yet) and the Sage LL/VPS Light series. The VPS Light has a similar action to the Winston WT, but it's more progressive, imho. It is plenty soft for short and/or trick casts, but has enough strength in the butt to throw 80+feet. I think a "two medium trout rod combo" of a 5wt XP and a 9' 4wt VPS Light would be ideal. The XP could be left set up with a nymphing or streamer rig and the 4wt with the dry and emerger.

I can say with greater confidence that I think if you're going to go with a slower rod, I would make it a 3 or 4wt rather than the 6wt. I think of a 6wt as more like a heavy nymphing or streamer rod and I wouldn't want slow rod for this.

dougm

Reaction score
I fish a Winston WT 4-weight called Tom Morgan's Favorite. Tom was once Winton's chief designer. I love the rod. Yes it's a bit slower than many but adjusting your stroke isn't all that difficult. They say that there is nothing like a Winston and I agree. The TMF is really a 3-weight (+) in my opinion. It works well with Cortland's new Sylk and SA's Mastery Trout. Best casting is 35 to 45-feet but she will reach out to 60 if necessity calls.

Never let the term IM6 mislead you. The IM6 of today is not the IM6 of yesterday. The term IM6 refers to the dry graphite when spooled much like yarn. Before it becomes much of anything, IM6 must go through the prepreg process where it becomes a matrix of graphite fibers and resin. There is more to it, of course, but germane to this discussion is the fact that great strides have been made in improving the resin. Improvement has also been made in the scrim that's added usually as a thin strip of graphite, fiberglass, or some other material.

The easiest way to think of it is to consider the prepreg as reinforced concrete, the "reinforcing steel" is the graphite and the "concrete" is the resin. The scrim? The scrim is added reinforcement.

Today's IM6 uses a much improved resin resulting in a more durable versatile rod since the rod builder controls which resin is used.

In truth, rod builders control three variables in designing a rod: (1) the material - graphite, resin and scrim; (2) the wall thickness - a function of the number of wraps of prepreg; and (3) the diameter of the blank - controlled by the taper of the mandrel.

In sum, today's IM6 rod can be most anything the rod builder desires -- most certainly tougher, more shock resistant and lighter.

Doug

Curtis

Reaction score
JB, I LOVE the Winston IM6's. I really like that smooth action. I prefer the 8.5 foot and shorter ones as the nine footers feel a little clunky to me. The WT is basically the same rod and it is **** fine. You cannot go wrong with the IM6. Western Rivers has a IM6 used for sale. I am sure they would be happy to let you check out the action on it.