Scents on flys

chuck145

Reaction score
In a previous post I questioned the use of egg patterns and one of the responses was that there was no harm in using egg patterns as long as they were not dipped in salmon egg juice. Is this the same as using the Berkley line of scents and what's wrong with using the scents. My fishing is primarily catch and release; but, occasionally if my family gets a hankering for fish to eat, I will keep enough for a fish fry.

Side note: I think this is a great forum; but, I am surprised by the lack of activity. Maybe it because I have so much to learn and I am just eating this stubb up and the rest of you guys/gals are pros. If so, bear with me.

Curtis

Reaction score
chuck145 said:
In a previous post I questioned the use of egg patterns and one of the responses was that there was no harm in using egg patterns as long as they were not dipped in salmon egg juice. Is this the same as using the Berkley line of scents and what's wrong with using the scents. My fishing is primarily catch and release; but, occasionally if my family gets a hankering for fish to eat, I will keep enough for a fish fry.

Side note: I think this is a great forum; but, I am surprised by the lack of activity. Maybe it because I have so much to learn and I am just eating this stubb up and the rest of you guys/gals are pros. If so, bear with me.
Hey there. I personally don't use scents on my flies but would have to say that if the regulations don't prohibit it, I guess there is no harm done. I don't know how I feel about it actually.

As for us being pros? Not me. Sometimes this place is poppin, other times it is dead. I would suggest having several backup sites. If you want you can p.m. me for some good sites to visit.

easternflyfisher

Reaction score
Hey there,
I think it has alot to do with "ethics". Many fly fishers only want a natural presentation, meaning they want their "bug" to smell like a bug does smell. Like nothing.

freeze69

Reaction score
can't say that i've tried them on flies. however i've tried them on regular plastic worms and such and didn't care for them. if you do use them the way that i read to be best was to actually rub some on your hands that way it helps to mask any scents you might have on your hands.(fishing partner last year and sun-tan lotion) and yes believe it or not that will have a big effect on wether or not your catching.

i feel go with what you feel comfortable with. scent or no scent does it make that big of deal. no different than a hunter using a deer rub scent to cover up his/her own smell and help attract a deer?

Curtis

Reaction score
fshfanatic said:
Scents on flies?

:shakes head and walks away:
Hey, don't get too worried, I have seen you "scent" the entire river column before!!

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Curtis said:
Hey, don't get too worried, I have seen you "scent" the entire river column before!!
You are one to talk, Obewan. I have seen, yes seen, small animals die when you removed your waders..

Curtis

Reaction score
fshfanatic said:
You are one to talk, Obewan. I have seen, yes seen, small animals die when you removed your waders..
Ah, the great scent of a manly man! ;)

BigCliff

Reaction score
As the starter of the fuss, I'd like to clarify that I didn't mean that using scents on flies, just that I think it may be outside the bounds of what might be considered "fly fishing". I didn't mean to come across as snobbish and condescending of those who use anything but flies to catch fish. Shoot, I often use my 3wt to catch sunfish to throw out as bait on a stout baitcaster to catch catfish and big bass.

I also think the scent on a fly can turn fish away if not natural. Grabbing a clump of vegetation out of the water and rubbing that on your fly can help give it a more natural aroma. I recently saw a Bahamian bonefish guide grab a wad of sand, put the fly in the middle of it and squeeze it for a few minutes to get some of that smell into the fly.

As far as activity goes, I'd love for those wanting to learn to ask more questions so those of us who think we know something about the sport can help out instead of going back and forth about how the cold sucks and stinky waders and all that. Tell us what you want to know and we'll be happy to help! Curtis' funky waders may be amazing and dumbfounding, but that won't help anybody catch more fish!

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
BigCliff said:
As the starter of the fuss, I'd like to clarify that I didn't mean that using scents on flies, just that I think it may be outside the bounds of what might be considered "fly fishing". I didn't mean to come across as snobbish and condescending of those who use anything but flies to catch fish. Shoot, I often use my 3wt to catch sunfish to throw out as bait on a stout baitcaster to catch catfish and big bass.

I also think the scent on a fly can turn fish away if not natural. Grabbing a clump of vegetation out of the water and rubbing that on your fly can help give it a more natural aroma. I recently saw a Bahamian bonefish guide grab a wad of sand, put the fly in the middle of it and squeeze it for a few minutes to get some of that smell into the fly.

As far as activity goes, I'd love for those wanting to learn to ask more questions so those of us who think we know something about the sport can help out instead of going back and forth about how the cold sucks and stinky waders and all that. Tell us what you want to know and we'll be happy to help! Curtis' funky waders may be amazing and dumbfounding, but that won't help anybody catch more fish!
Thats true and I will be good. My bad..:icon_frow

freeze69

Reaction score
one thing to remember here is that scents can be both helpful and hurtful like bigcliff stated. most fisherman/woman don't realize that things that they do before going out fishing can scent there lures and line. things such as suntan lotion(very common), fueling your car or boat, and even the simple act of washing your hands after doing these things.(lots of soaps have perfumes in them for smell) one simple way to put on suntan lotion is to use rubber gloves. i don't know about elsewhere but here in the north a lot of gas stations are starting to put a scent remover near the pumps.(takes away the fuel smell from your hands)

always remeber that a scent can be anything that is not natural to the fishing environment. and they can, could, or will ruin a very productive fishing day. seen my partner make some of these mistakes more than once just last year bass fishing.

don't know where i saw it at but someplace sold a scent remover that could be carried in your tackle box or fly vest. if anyone knows where i might have seen this at maybe they could post it. i'm wanting to say bass pro shops, cabelas, or my local fly shop. found it cabelas carries it for one. and i'm sure it's not the only place. the stuff is called extreme scent eliminator hand wipes. i would imagine that the full creel might even carry this product. i've never tried it so i don't know how well it works.

chuck145

Reaction score
Hey guys, I dont take any of this personally. I enjoy the banter and I certainly appreciate any information I can get. It's helpful to know that some things are not considered "ethical" by some. If I were fishing with someone that had invited me to their place, it helps me to know if something might or might not be the right thing to do. Mike, to show you my heart is right, if you will send me your address, I will send you a bottle of salmon egg scent.:biggrin: :biggrin:

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
chuck145 said:
Hey guys, I dont take any of this personally. I enjoy the banter and I certainly appreciate any information I can get. It's helpful to know that some things are not considered "ethical" by some. If I were fishing with someone that had invited me to their place, it helps me to know if something might or might not be the right thing to do. Mike, to show you my heart is right, if you will send me your address, I will send you a bottle of salmon egg scent.:biggrin: :biggrin:
I would then have to get rid of the "Powerbiat juice" I keep in my pack..

:ranting3:

BamaJack

Reaction score
Speaking of scents, I have thought about making a concoction of some squeshed caddis fly nymphs, mayfly nymphs, and stone flies adding some water then pour the more liquid contents through a dish rag (don't leave this for your wife so find!) then put the juice in a bottle and keep in the frig. Then when you add silicone dressing to your fly add a drop or two of this concoction. It would be interesting to see what results would occur. Probably be better if it was all one species of fly mixed with nymph. As a Fisheries Biologist this would make interesting research. Surely I can get a
1/2 million dollar Grant to research this HA! I still may do it - if so I wil let you know if it makes a difference.

ffffg

Reaction score
hidding human scent makes most sence to me.. i used to use wd 40 religously when trolling for land locked slamon and trout.. some swear by it, i caught plenty without it before.. color, size, and presentation is obvoiusly more imp.. i would alwas use a jounted black rapala at sunset personally beliving the noise it made helped when visibility got less.. just my belief no proof.. .. interesting tho im being coached by a guy who has a cabin on no tellim lake, huge trout average 5 pounds, and get much bigger.. . i pumped him what to do at ice off, he said olive scuds 12-14, and scud scent.. never heard of it, dont know what it is, but imnot going to drive most of a day, stay in a hotel, go to these huge lenghts and not have scud scent, whatever it is,, where ever you get it, i have no idea.. let you know after ice off...... dave

HELLFIGHTER5308

Reaction score
If using a scent is considered unethical by the purists, then why use an artificial fly that looks like the real thing? If you really want to be challenged why not entice the fish to take a bare barbless hook? Now that would be a challenge and give the fish a sporting chance! If you can do that, you are good!

aroostookbasser

Reaction score
I for one have no problem with scent useage. My good friend Alvin Therieault in fact markets a line of flies that come scented. Being from Patten Maine and a Warden/tyer and guide he knows what works. In fact I fished some of his "scented" flies and they neither helped nor hurt me.

The truth is..unless you want to go around sniffing every flybox in the world. Who is going to know if it is or isn't scented?

The whole thing is silly. If this is that important to you.... you need to get a life!!!