sinking line

i want to catch fish

Reaction score
welli just bought type IV sinkking i used it last year on my buddys fly rod and now that i got my own he moved away and havent been able to get hold of him can someone give me adivve how to rig this up
leader length and how you set it up plezz
thank you
btw its for steel head

Jakeway

Reaction score
If using streamers on a sinking line, use short leaders; otherwise the sinking line will just pull the leader down and the fly will stay up above it.

For larger trout and bass, I use a leader recommended by a couple different fly guides: 18 inches of 20 lb mono and 18 inches of 10 pound mono. (With this much difference in line diameter, I use a Surgeon's Knot to join them.) You could go smaller on the tippet if you think the trout are leader shy, but that's seldom an advantage with dtreamers. Last weekend I caught several 9-12 inch brookies and rainbows on this leader rig, with a size 6 BH Wooly Bugger.

If using sink tip line just to get my nymphs deeper, I use the same strength tippet as usual, but a 4 to 6 ft leader.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
For a sink tip, or full sink line for steelhead, first I’d try a straight shot of Maxima Camo or Clear (or fluoro) 4 to 6 feet long. A good choice would be 10lb test for all around steelheading, but I’d also carry spools of 6 and 8 for clear water spooky fish, and 12 lb and 15lb for off colored water and fishing for kings.

If you have problems with the leader laying out, you might shorten the tippet, or you can get a little fancier, and use a quick and dirty tapered leader, with a butt 3 feet long, and tippet of 10lb that’s 1-3” long.

The butt would be 1 foot each of 30lb to 20lb to 15lb Maxima (or fluoro) then add the tippet, for a total (leader plus tippet) length of 4 to 6 feet. If you needed to add weight, (hopefully you wouldn't), you can pinch split shot on the butt above the tippet knot.

Mark

MikeG

Reaction score
I use a loop to loop connection for my leader to fly line.

Jakeway

Reaction score
With Sink Tip or sinking lines I start out with a nail knot and 24" of 20# mono, to which I add 10-12 # tippets. When the 20# finally gets worn out or too short, I usually cut it off at 6" and tie a perfection loop in it, then use Loop to Loop connection s from then on.

I do the same thing with a floating line on my bass bug rig, though I use a tapered Bass Bug line tied directly to the line. Eventually it too gets turned into a loop connector. My trout rod for nymping and dry flies I just put on a Perfection Loop with 20 # mono, since I use a variety of leaders and want to switch often.

I don't usually like to use the commercial braided loops, because I like to have a loop large enough to thread on a leader with flies or indicator already attached. That helps when I want to switch to a dry rather than a three-fly wet fly rig. The three-fly rig goes into a ziplock bag to be used again, sometimes only a few minutes later.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
IWTCF-

A loop to attach a leader or straight shot of tippet makes it easy to change on the stream, which can be important if you're out steelheading in the cold and your fingers are frozen.

There are a couple ways of making loops, adding a short section of heavy mono might b the easiest and most trustworthy. This site might help:

Animated Knots by Grog

Nail or Albright Knot- Tie a short section of heavy mono to the butt of the fly line

Perfection loop, or no-slip mono loop knot to end of short section, and butt end of leader, or straight section of tippet if you're using that.

Attach the loops by passing the loop connected to the fly line through the leader loop, and pass the fee end of the leader through the fly line loop. This will seat the loops correctly so it's not a cutting connection.

Here's the right way to attach the loops:
Loop-to-Loop Connection

Other ways of making a loop include making a small loop with your fly line and securing it with 10-12lb test mono using a nail knot etc. but if not done well it can easily fail.

Mark