Fly Tester

Cliff Hilbert

Reaction score
Ok guys, I volunteer to be the official fly tester for this website. It'll be a hard job, I know, but someone has to do it. So after you tie new patterns and want someone to try them out for you, just send them to me and I'll try them and let you know whether they'll catch fish or not - I won't even charge you for this service.

As an added incentive, if I catch a record fish on one of your flies then you'll have your name and fly posted on the TP&W records website. Now I know you really must be excited!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gordon Bryson

Reaction score
Before you write this off as a joke, let me tell you Cliff is the holder of a lot of State of Texas fly fishing records as well as many, many lake fly fishing records for several different species of game fish. I am fortunate enough to have a couple of records made by flies I tied. Try it, you'll like it.

Gordon Bryson

Reaction score
Before you write this off as a joke, let me tell you Cliff is the holder of a lot of State of Texas fly fishing records as well as many, many lake fly fishing records for several different species of game fish. I am fortunate enough to have a couple of records made by flies I tied. Try it, you'll like it.

DAVY WOTTON

Reaction score
FLY TESTER.

Ok CLIFF, We can do that, how many do you want 500 !
Will not of course include the ones l ( KNOW )catch fish, secret weapons.

There was a very well known angler in the UK by the name of Richard Walker. He came to notice when he caught the record carp at that time, fact the fish was a exibit in the London zoo for years, called Clarissa, if l recall.
Anyway, he wrote a book for fly patterns, In it he says that no fly included had caught less tha 50 fish, trout of course, no warm water species in the UK.

50 fly paterns are lisetd in that book- 2,500 fish needed. I guess Richard did not know of the White river, would not take long to fill that compliment.

Ok, you guys get the flies off to Cliff.

Davy.

Cliff Hilbert

Reaction score
I did put it up there as a joke, but sometimes I actually do catch record fish on flies someone sent me. Last summer I caught a state record bowfin, 7.25#, on a chenille worm fly that a kid who just started college at UT Tyler sent me. Do you think he was excited!! I was more excited for him than I was with a new state record.

Last year I also caught a state fly fishing private waters record redear sunfish at 11" - 1.3# on a purple and gold LSU clouser that a friend fo mine tied for me. He went to the University of Arkansas and I went to LSU. So here is a guy originally from New Orleans and who went to LSU, who catches a Texas State Record fish on an LSU fly tied by an Arkansas Razorback. We got three states covered by that one, lol.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Cliff I've come up with a new pattern that I'll just have to get to you. It's one of those where I just added a few good ingredients and the whole was greater than the sum.

Imagine a fly that pushed water like a muddler, had a rabbit strip over the top, and the whole damn thing is reflective, but in three different ways.

Oh yeah, the body is translucent too. I wanted to eat the thing right after i whip finished it.

I'm not intending to be secretive about it, just don't know how to post pictures yet. Here's a deal, I'll send three of this fly to the first person who suceeds in getting me directed on how to post up a series of pictures in a way that works for tying instruction.

Fish Bones

Reaction score
BigCliff:

OK... pictures. Now... I don't know what your computer skill level is so I'll make this explanation pretty basic. First of all, the image that you are wanting to post must already be on some web site. We are just going to transfer the image to the forum by the use of HTML. OK... Now... When you click on "New Topic" or "Post a Reply" it will open a new message page. Near the top of the new message page is a set of 9 buttons. The second from the last button is titled "Img". Click on "Img" then type in the photo's URL, then click "Img" again. That's all there is to it.

How do you get the photo's URL? (many would ask) Just go to the photo on the web site and right click on it. It will open a menu. Near the bottom of this menu it will read "properties". Click on properties and it will open a window that will contain some info including the URL of that photo. Copy the URL and past it to your post.

For example: the title banner at the top of this page has the following URL - http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forum/templates/subCanvas/images/logo.jpg

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can hep any further.

Thanks for all of your help with the forum!!!

Steve

BigCliff

Reaction score
thanks. based on your explanation, it sounds like it might be easiest to create a gallery on TFR first and copy and paste them here. Is there a way that i can just move them directly from my camera onto this site?

dougm

Reaction score
Not that I am aware of. Creating a personal photo gallery may be the answer. Also, you may be able to find a free image hosting web site that I've hear about. I don't know of any specific sites but you could do an internet search for free image hosting.

Thanks,
Steve