fly tyer magazine

freeze69

Reaction score
was wondering if anyone subscribes to or reads fly tyer magazine. my question is weather or not to subsribe to it? will it get to technical for a beginner? is it any good or a lousy magazine. any input will be helpful.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I used to buy it pretty often, but have kind of gotten to the stage where I have tried enough of the tying "tricks" and just tie what I know works, and works in lots of places.

Some of the stuff might be way over your head, but that shouldn't keep you from trying it. If you see something that you wanna tie in there, look around for instructions on the web on the techniques. Struggling through hard stuff is one of the best ways to get better. And remember, using a razor blade, you can always re-use the hook if what's on it isn't satisfactory.

Hate to send you to another site, but the fly tying section on www.flyanglersonline.com has thousands of dollars worth of instruction. The archive probably includes as many flies as 4 years worth of that magazine as well. Some of them are more of the "old standards" type, along with many new and innovative patterns.

freeze69

Reaction score
read your post and that is kind of what i was wondering. i know i did some searching and found step by step instructions for a lefty's deceiver. tied up several of those this weekend. each one looking better than the last. and why pay for a magazine if you've got a spot with as many as the website that you mentioned did. i know a lot of times i'll see a pattern i like and don't have the same materials but i know that another color works in my area so i supstatute. the guy at work gets mad at me for that. but i'm like heh why tie something exactly like it's supposed to be and it won't work. the guys at work that've used my flies have had good success or so they say.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have been tying for years and get the mag. I love it and it is a good publication.